Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions!!

K, like the title says...I've got a couple dumb questions....Dumb Question #1: I'm swapping a th400 into my 02 SS and I put a SFI Approved flexplate on the car. The question is: What do I do with the SFI Approval sticker?? Do I put it on the flexplate?? I hope to not have to see the flexplate for a while after I put the tranny in!! Dumb Question #2 I am also installing Weld-In Sub Frame Connectors, do I need to have a Certified Welder do the welding if I plan on going to NHRA (or any other sanctions, for that matter) events?? Thank you, in advance, for any and all information!!
Old 04-12-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

usually the flexplates have the certs on them, and the welding it dont need to be a certified welder but you just want to make sure whoever welds it that all the welds have enough penetration, and if there chromoly then it needs to be tigged.-tony-
Old 04-12-2009, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Yeah the flexplate has a Cert stamped on it but I also got a sticker and just wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing with it. Thanks for the info!!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Put the sticker on the flexplate, preferrably in a place that you could see it if you had to, clean the flexplate with alcohol so the sticker has a good clean surface to stick to.

record all the info on the sticker (the #, the sfi cert level, date) and keep that handy so that if you get into the 10's when they will ask about that you have the info handy.

I keep a sheet of paper in my car with the sfi #, level and exp. date of every safety item on my car so that when I go thru tech I hand them the sheet with my lic and the tech card and tell the inspector that is all the SFI #'s, level's and dates for everything on the car.

Usually the inspectors are so impressed with that they don't even look at the car hardly, other then to make sure that the stuff is there, and that usually stops after the belts and the helmet.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, Most times they do not want to crawl under the car but if you come un prepared, they will.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

It's not so much being prepared or not... it's more of the impression you leave with the tech guy. If you come across like you don't know what you're doing, they're gonna look alot more then if you have definitive and simple answers to their questions.

Be polite, answer accurately and quickly, and they'll have you on your way. You have alot of "umm well" type answers, that means you don't know and will make them look more.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that is how i define it. Un-prepared for a Oral presentation.... Ummm, Welll..... lol.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:27 PM
FormerVendor

If the subframe's are chomoly, they can be MIG'd if you do not have access to a TIG. Only time Chromoly HAS to be welded with a TIG, if it is in a cage application.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

i thought it was for any chromoly application thanks for correcting that
Old 04-13-2009, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Hey thanks guys!! You guys are awesome! Its nice to know that a guy like myself that is new to the drag scene can ask questions and know that I can get a straight forward answer. Thanks for taking the time!!