Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need help removing decals/stripes

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help removing decals/stripes

I bought my car a few years ago with some racing stripes (decals) already on it. I recently went to remove them, and didn't have much trouble except for the rear hatch. It seems that in this section, the decals do NOT want to come off! I've tried using decal removers (spray), using a razorblade, and just picking at them with my fingernail (this works, but VERY VERY slowly).

Its difficult to explain exactly what they look like, but its almost as if they have been melted onto the paint. Attached are two pics of what I mean, but they were taken with a cell so they are not the best images. Is there any easy (or easier) way of removing these things without damaging the paint underneath (I've already damaged it a bit, so i'm trying to find a better way)? I'm open to any suggestions, because I'm sick and tired of trying to get them off!!
Attached Thumbnails Need help removing decals/stripes-0407091846.jpg   Need help removing decals/stripes-0407091846a.jpg  
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Launching!

the easiest thing to do is buy or borrow a heat gun and a plastic putty knife. heat up small areas of the decal at a time. once it is heated (it doesnt take long to heat it up) take the plastic putty knife and get it started it will peel up like static cling. very easy. every now and then there will still be a lil glue left from the decal clean this up with denatured alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, or gasoline. make sure that you dont leave any of the glue removers on the paint for too long cuz it will fog ur clearcoat and can even remove it if it is thin or old. you can get the heat gun from any hardware store as with the denatured and isopropyl alcohol. so good luck man once youve tried this method you wont remove any sticker, decal, or graphic off of anything without doing this. hope this helps. pm me if you have any questions bout this or if i am not clear in an area. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, I'll give it a shot this week. I already tried a hair dryer and it worked for most of the decals, but it did nothing for this section right here. I'll try a heat gun and putty knife, see how that works!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

3M eraser wheel.. works every time and wont hurt the paint (P/N: 07498)

Astro Pneumatic makes a cheaper version that works well too (P/N: 400E)
Old 04-14-2009, 12:39 AM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ricer
3M eraser wheel.. works every time and wont hurt the paint (P/N: 07498)

Astro Pneumatic makes a cheaper version that works well too (P/N: 400E)
I've heard those things can chew through a clear coat. Not true? I'd feel safer with a heat gun and putty knife. I'm thinking about removing the stripes on the side of my car.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HWI
I've heard those things can chew through a clear coat. Not true? I'd feel safer with a heat gun and putty knife. I'm thinking about removing the stripes on the side of my car.
just keep in mind HWI and Turo that if those strips/decals have been on ur cars for a while they may still be noticable after you remove them. whether it be the sun faded ur paint or even buffing scratches and swirls in ur paint. but good luck to the both of ya
Old 04-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HWI
It has been known to happen but mainly on pannels that have been either painted reciently or have been preped for paint shitty. When I use mine at work I don't let it go ***** out I have an regulator of sorts on mine so I keep the RPM's down I VERY rarely have a problem
Old 04-14-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not too worried about minor defects to the paint because it is in a spot you don't really see much. Plus I hate the way it looks now, so I'd rather deal with faded stripes/paint than have it look the way it does now!

After reading some reviews, I think I may try the eraser wheel first, many people online seem to swear by them. I'll order one tonight and see what happens, hopefully I don't f*ck anything up!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Turo
I'm not too worried about minor defects to the paint because it is in a spot you don't really see much. Plus I hate the way it looks now, so I'd rather deal with faded stripes/paint than have it look the way it does now!

After reading some reviews, I think I may try the eraser wheel first, many people online seem to swear by them. I'll order one tonight and see what happens, hopefully I don't f*ck anything up!

Take it slow, don't go ***** out with the RPM's and you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Need help removing decals/stripes