Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gauge question

How do you guys feel about a digital fuel pressure gauge. I have an AEM boost and AFR gauge, and am not that happy about the "bouncing" around of the AFR gauge #s, which makes it hard to read. (although I know an analog needle would jump around as well due to the O2 adjustments)
I realize under normal operation the fuel pressure shouldn't move that much (or at least slowly) but IF there is something wrong under WOT (bad pump etc) would the numbers moving quickly make it harder to catch (and react/lift) than a needle moving down?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No one running digital?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

you probably wouldn't notice a difference in lag of signal. the only real advantage i see of an electric gauge is being able to have the gauge in the car itself without having a fuel line connected to it directly.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It will be electrical; I was just wondering if the "moving #s" would be hard to read in the event you lost pressure for some reason. I began thinking about it after trying to read my digital AFR gauge
Old 04-14-2009, 03:53 PM
11Second Club

Personally, I don't believe that any gauge is real likely to catch your attention fast enough to avert disaster when it comes to something as critical as fuel pressure. I have an analog electrical fuel pressure gauge in the middle on my three-gauge A-pillar, and I have trouble watching what the pressure is doing even when I am concentrating on that gauge in particular (because I don't want to look away from the road).

That being said, I think there are two things you can look for in a gauge that will help (both of which my gauge has). First, a warning indicator. I want to see if my fuel pressure is falling, so I set the warning level for 57psi, and then I only have to look for that red light instead of watching what the needle is doing. That's a whole lot easier to do out of your periferal vision. Also, the gauge has provisions for connecting another device that will be operated when a warning level is reached. For example, you can literally wire a buzzer or bright light to it so that it sounds when your warning level is reached.

The gauge I'm using is an Autometer Sport Comp II PC gauge. The part number is 3671. Here's a link to all the Sport Comp II PC gauges they have:

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugeli...&opid=1&szid=2

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: gauge question