Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Remote/rear or front mounted turbo for road racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote/rear or front mounted turbo for road racing

Just theorizing here - no real-world experience.

I'm currently swapping a 5.3l L33 HO motor into my Porsche 944, which will be used for daily driving, HPDE and road circuits (no strip or drag launches). The engine bay is pretty tight, so fitting a turbo or turbos up front is a bit of a challenge. I was wondering about performance benefits/drawbacks for a rear-mounted turbo for road racing use. I can see the following potential benefits of a rear-mounted turbo:

- less possibility of heat soak, resulting in lower engine bay temperatures
- lower engine oil/coolant temperature
- better weight balance

Typically, rear-mounted turbos must contend with maintaining adequate exhaust gas temperatures during the long run back from the exhaust ports. I would think that this would have a negative impact for drag racing, as the motors run in an all-or-nothing manner, i.e. little time for the exhaust track to heat up. For a road race, the temperature in the exhaust pipe would be elevated at a more consistent level, so less energy would be lost.

Of course, there are other issues to contend with, such as oil lines, increased weight from the longer pipes, etc.

Doing a search I can't find a single instance of a rear-mounted turbo on a road race car, so I'm probably just being stupid, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Any thoughts/comments/criticisms?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one thing that will hurt you is the return pump overheating. Id do a front mount in a heart beat for rd racing.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have seen a hatback that was running a rear mounted turn setup. worked really well for him. there was a touch of lag but he stated that it actually helped him get the power down out of the corners.

I would look at a smaller version of Zombies setup (inc. fast spool valve) should work really well.

the ultimate rear mount setup would inc. a drysump setup (4 stage - 2 scav for the sump, 1 scav for the turbo and 1 high pressure).

also as it a hybrid you could look at sandalone ECUs that let you run Anti-lag to reduce lag, or eun a high comp/low boost setup maybe????

Chris.

Quick Reply: Remote/rear or front mounted turbo for road racing