Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

IE 6-71 blower value???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IE 6-71 blower value???

Anyone ever hear of an "IE blower"(guy said its an Induction Engineering 6-71). Local guy wants $1500 for it. It's been sittin in his basement for like 20 years, and he has no idea how many miles are on it... He said it was "rebuilt" by a local diesel truck shop, but he has no idea what they actually did to it. It includes the 6-71 blower, intake(SB), pulleys, and old *** belt. He has the old carbs(2-600 Holleys) sittin there too and I was thinking bout trying to get em to throw them in too.

What you think its worth? I was thinking bout offering him $800 for everything, that too low? I'm good with motors, but this will be my first supercharging experience, so I'm not 100% sure he has everything I need also....
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

if it was never rebuilt by a shop that specializes in non diesel appls., it may not be setup properly-aftermarket end plates, clearancing, front gears, etc he's asking a lot if its not setup-also the drive may not be comp, idler, pulleys, etc-you kind of got to know what your looking at-even if it was setup, may need refreshing
Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

He said it was rebuilt by Cleveland Brothers in Ephrata, PA(CAT dealer/diesel repair). Like you warned, its a diesel truck shop, lol. I was going to compare a brand new complete Weiand 6-71 kit, with all of the parts he has to see if I need anything else...
I'm pretty sure it's gonna need a belt because the setup has been off his car for almost 20 years or so...
Old 04-14-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would consider offering him about 25% of the current retail replacement cost at most.
Since the stuff is 20+ years old, you have no idea what exactly you are getting into.
I would have to assume that the carbs will need to be rebuilt, and the blower sent out to a reputable gas engine blower shop for inspection and/or rebuild.
There could be critters living inside the thing for all you know, LOL.....

Good luck !!!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Yea i agree, thats about what I was thinking. So if I offer $700, I think thats about fair right? Because its not like he just pulled if off the car, everythings gonna need gone over etc... just not not sure how to break it to him thats its not worth $1500...
Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Is there anyway I can check on my own without having to send off to a blower shop? Bering play/clearences? Signs of wear in certain areas, teflon seals? I just don't wanna too much money on it, and by the time I'm done I could've bought a new one...
Old 04-15-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

You should send it to a shop, I'm not sure how much boost those old diesels ran... but my duramax runs 30+ PSI on stock turbo.

Quick Reply: IE 6-71 blower value???