Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install nightmare! broken crank bolt!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 03:00 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam install nightmare! broken crank bolt!

so when I went to remove the crank bolt it snapped off in the crank where the threads start approximately 2-3 inches in from the snout of the crank..... long story short about 3-4 hours later the remainder of the bolt was drilled and easy outted, not an easy task to do while not damaging the crank threads! for anyone out there that may do a search, its possible..... heres a pic of proof!

http://home.comcast.net/~nickn20/crankbolt.jpg
Old 10-27-2003, 03:04 AM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Lots of lessons to be learned working on your own stuff, huh?
Old 10-27-2003, 03:07 AM
9 Second Club

this was my freinds car, he doesnt know how lucky he really is........
Old 10-27-2003, 03:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

A buddy of mine broke the crank bolt on a 4.6L Frod motor... They're really tiny though, compared to the LS1 bolt.. He was freaking out, thinking of ways to ghetto it together (he was to be dropping the motor in this guy's car the next day).. I ended up going over there and drinking some beer with my buddy, and decided to see how bad it was.. Lucky for him, I was able to wiggle it out with nothing more than a pen magnet and a couple screwdrivers. When that bolt broke, all the torque was relieved, and it spun right out.

Glad you got that bolt out, can't imagine what it was like when the bolt broke. That's insane, never personally seen one snap!!