Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Had it with this Monster Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had it with this Monster Clutch

I recently had my T56 rebuild with the gearbox.org's T56 Premium Master Overhaul Kit and added Monster Clutch's Level 3 clutch kit. The problem I ran into was the car would not go into gear when on. Reverse gear is the worse gear to shift into. It shifts very smooth and tight while the car is off.
The clutch line was bled profusely. All air had to be removed. Me and a buddy spent numerous hours bleeding the line once the new tranny was in. Yes hours.
So I decided to replace the master with a Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder Kit . The car ran good and shifted very smootly for about 150 miles or so (did alot of high speed canyon carving) then started to to act up again (hard to get into gear).
Does anyone think it would be possible that I boiled the dot3? Is that possible on a clutch line?
I am bewildered and cannot figure out why this car does not want to go into gear smootly. I dont think anything was spun or thrown. Maybe tolerences not accurate?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you install a new slave cylinder when you installed everything else ?

Did you break in your clutch before canyon carving ?

Have you since tried changing out the old clutch fluid ?

Have you tried readjusting the Tick m/c ?

Once your transmission started grinding again ... Did your clutch peddle
feel any different ?

Last edited by bearcatt; 04-18-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to give me a call at the shop so we can get this squared away.

I don't believe we've gone over this issue with you yet, give us a chance to discuss stuff and make it right.

Steve Addison
SNL Performance/Monster Clutch Co.
817-750-2000
Old 04-17-2009, 02:17 PM
CARTEK Racing

DOT-3 fluid is crap when it comes to clutches...

To be DOT3 fuid has to have a minimum dry boiling point of 401F, that is not much for a cluch.

I use Neo Synthetic fluid for my clutch which has a dry boiling point of 610F and even that stuff does not last for ever...

I would put a good fluid int he clutch first. It seems to me that the shifting issue was solved by the Tick Master [as it usualy does] but after you started driving it, and driving it reletivly hard, you killed that fluid in a matter of moments.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um bro i think you should have investigated the problem deeper before you started bashing a reputable clutch company. i own a Stage 5 and my buddy owns a stage 6. he repetitively wheels stands his car at the track with 1.5 60' times and his clutch is perfect! that's almost 100 track runs and over 2000 miles. i would think your culprit has more to do with the hydraulics or maybe the T56 internals. as stated above. when you have the tranny open like that it would be wise to replace your slave and throwout bushing. as well as the pilot bearing. did you bench bleed your master and slave prior to install? i'm assuming no. assuming you didnt break in the clutch properly, i would say it's probably glazed. did you get oil on the plate when you installed it. i think you need to give Steve a call and change the title of this thread. the man's trying to run a business and slander isnt exactly healthy.what you shuld have done was approach him with your problems first before you go bashing him publicly. edit your OP soon bro.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

wheres the bashing at? i see the title, but thats not bashing,,,,and are you really his bro?
Old 04-17-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i'm his bro.
anyway calling out a company like Monster when it's obvious this guy didnt cover all his bases is unprofessional and just immature. if he suspected a clutch problem he should have contacted the manufacturer. it's obvious he didn't. I'm sure Steve was surprised when he saw this thread. well like i said i see something wrong with this thread and i think he should edit the title. who agrees with me?
Old 04-17-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Default Easy

Everyone get frustrated and makes mistakes! No need to bash him or the company ! Hope on the phone and work it out! As far as flaming goes keep it to yourslefs . This websight has turned into a bash board latley ! Even one gets worked up ... says few things dont wanna , but in the end it all get tookn care of !
Old 04-17-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Default even easier..

your right. i just dont understand the big lecture to the OP about it from the "bro" dude with 17 posts.,,,,and i still dont see where the bashing is.Anyways, OP hope you get it worked out. I do not have a Monster clutch, but the posts on Steve's customer service shows he's doing great things to help folks out and sell a great product.

Folks rip on another great clutch company on here as well, i dont see quite the defence going to those..but then again, he is new

end rant
Old 04-17-2009, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

I say talk to the manufacturer and/or the seller before getting all aggravated and making red posts.....we recently installed a monster in my friend's 383 car, and its great.

-Will
Old 04-17-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98TA6.0
yeah i'm his bro.
anyway calling out a company like Monster when it's obvious this guy didnt cover all his bases is unprofessional and just immature. if he suspected a clutch problem he should have contacted the manufacturer. it's obvious he didn't. I'm sure Steve was surprised when he saw this thread. well like i said i see something wrong with this thread and i think he should edit the title. who agrees with me?
Thanks curtosy police...

I think SNL is more than capable of handling this issue... without the help of
"someone who knows someone wh who is rumored to be using a monster clutch aqnd might, at some time or another, done a wheelstand."

The clutchs appear to be quality pieces. If they weren't then SNL wouldn't be in business for very long offering a 12month warranty now would they?

On the otherhand, you have to feel for a guy who spent all that time and money and is still not satisfied. Good luck OP.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am having a similar problem, but I blame my stock 98 master cylinder of 135k miles. Everything else is new, just like Monster sent to me If mity vacing my master doesnt work (because I've bled the crap out of my slave) then its tick time.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it's actually 11 months smartguy. oh and you cant quote something i didnt say. tehn it wouldnt be a quote then huh? he spent all his money and isnt satisfied? it sounds like he should save up for a proper mechanic who can diagnose a small problem. maybe he didnt do anything bad and i know steve is completely competent with this ordeal but i was just stating that this guy is in the wrong for hopping too quick in the wrong direction. afterall (and this is a quote) he "had with it with this Monster clutch" and it's not even the problem. enough said!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Trust me I ran into a small problem with my clutch and SNL was on top of it. Got the new clutch in and its working as promised. Made a few track passes tonite and clutched worked great. Can't go wrong with a Monster
Old 04-18-2009, 04:54 PM
FormerVendor

That is the problem with the internet, people are too quick to start calling people out without contacting teh vendor first. Either way, even IF it is a problem with the clutch, Steve will handle it. After reading the first post however, to me it sounds like a owner/installer error. You get a new clutch in, and go out "canyon carving" without breakin in teh clutch first, you are just askin for problems, regardless of whose clutch it is.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks like the original poster needs to get a new flame suit.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bearcatt
Looks like the original poster needs to get a new flame suit.

Wouldn't hurt, I guess. But, with only 2 posts to his name he needs to learn sooner or later on how to work potential problems out before you start accusing people/vendors of anything is all I am saying. I mean, to start a thread titled like that, and he had not even spoke with Monster yet, AND he is not even 100% sure that it is the clutch, is just wrong. Plain and simple.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gen414
Wouldn't hurt, I guess. But, with only 2 posts to his name he needs to learn sooner or later on how to work potential problems out before you start accusing people/vendors of anything is all I am saying. I mean, to start a thread titled like that, and he had not even spoke with Monster yet, AND he is not even 100% sure that it is the clutch, is just wrong. Plain and simple.
I agree, That is completely unfair to Monster Clutch.
Maybe the poster is a troll. lol
Old 04-20-2009, 04:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bearcatt
I agree, That is completely unfair to Monster Clutch.
Maybe the poster is a troll. lol

Hahaha...LMAO!! I guess I should not even "bump" this thread since it seems the newbie is no longer "trolling" around here, but reading your post made me laugh. Thanks
Old 04-20-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hahaha

Evil Creature -->