Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Trying to assemble 9"

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trying to assemble 9"

attempted to assemble my 9" center section today and ran into some problems. I have everything in there and went to check/set ring gear lash but the ring gear is hitting the housing and the lash is .018 which means I need to move the ring gear in but that would make it hit the housing even worse.

If I were to move the pinion in more that would help but I only have one shim between the pinion support and the housing.

It almost seems like the housing needs to be clearanced some.

I got all the parts from QP except the differential.

Anyone have any experience with the Yukon housing?

Yukon Aluminum Housing
Motive 4.11's
Ford Track Lok
Solid Pinion Spacer
Daytona Pinion support

thanks,
pete
Old 04-19-2009, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm trying to understand what you wrote so forgive me if I'm reading it wrong.

If you tighten up the backlash it should be moving closer to the pinion, and away from the housing. Backlash should be around .008 to .012. Where on the housing is it making contact at?

What is your pinion shim thickness? Sounds like you might need a thicker shim to move the pinion out away from the ring gear.

Mike
Old 04-19-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

can you post a pic. and yes with a .018 backlash you would need to move the gears closer together.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Sorry for the confusion, the ring gear is hitting the front pinion support of the housing, so it is the actual teeth of the ring gear hitting. So the closer I move the ring gear to the pinion the worse it will get but this is required to get the right backlash (cause i'm at .018 now). Right now I believe I have around .020 for pinion shim thickness (I was just guessing and then going to see what the gear pattern looked like and adjust accordingly). Ive read on a couple other forums that trimming the housing some is a more common thing than I would have thought. I'm going to give QP a call tomorrow and see if they've had to do that on the Yukon aluminum housing before. I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettett15
Sorry for the confusion, the ring gear is hitting the front pinion support of the housing, so it is the actual teeth of the ring gear hitting. So the closer I move the ring gear to the pinion the worse it will get but this is required to get the right backlash (cause i'm at .018 now). Right now I believe I have around .020 for pinion shim thickness (I was just guessing and then going to see what the gear pattern looked like and adjust accordingly). Ive read on a couple other forums that trimming the housing some is a more common thing than I would have thought. I'm going to give QP a call tomorrow and see if they've had to do that on the Yukon aluminum housing before. I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow.
OK, so have you tried adjusting the carrier to where it won't rub on anything, then insert the pinion assembly without a shim?

Mike
Old 04-20-2009, 05:51 AM
On The Tree

I thought about it but then I assume that would screw up my pinion depth.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Spoke with a guy at QP today, he said that yeah you have to shave, made it seem like it was no biggie and they do it all the time. Guess I know what I'm doing...