LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fuel system problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fuel system problems?

OK here's the deal Ive been having trouble with fuel system. fuel pump wont prime. You can here it at the fuel rail like its bubbling and the pump never shuts off. i have replaced the pump with a used but working pump from BLOWNDFIZ(on ltxtech), car runs quite a bit better with this pump but still not priming tho. I have replaced the relay and regulator and still no change. i have unbolted fuel rail and injectors and went to prime system and did not see any leaks from injectors. im completely stumped. i have ran seafoam in tank a couple weeks before it started happing. could i have possibley changed something in the tune that would screw this up or could it be a bad ecm? i know the original owner had replaced the ecm already i think he said once or three times but i really cant remember for the life of me. any ideas before i go crazy.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyking4
OK here's the deal Ive been having trouble with fuel system. fuel pump wont prime. You can here it at the fuel rail like its bubbling and the pump never shuts off. i have replaced the pump with a used but working pump from BLOWNDFIZ(on ltxtech), car runs quite a bit better with this pump but still not priming tho. I have replaced the relay and regulator and still no change. i have unbolted fuel rail and injectors and went to prime system and did not see any leaks from injectors. im completely stumped. i have ran seafoam in tank a couple weeks before it started happing. could i have possibley changed something in the tune that would screw this up or could it be a bad ecm? i know the original owner had replaced the ecm already i think he said once or three times but i really cant remember for the life of me. any ideas before i go crazy.
If the pump never primes, how are you running the car?
I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the rail and see what your pressure is doing.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If the pump never primes, how are you running the car?
I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the rail and see what your pressure is doing.
yea im trying to get a hold of a gauge to check it but haven't been able to, no money. its still feeding enough fuel to start but its not priming and shutting the pump off before i start the car its just running continuously. i can drive it but it doesnt run anything like it did of course. do you think i could drive it to my work Nation Tire and battery that is about 10 miles from my house? if so i could get a gauge on it there. i guess im going to check all wires and connections that relate to fuel pump, maybe pump isnt getting enough power? idk but i found a page with sum things i could do to diagnose it.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyking4
yea im trying to get a hold of a gauge to check it but haven't been able to, no money. its still feeding enough fuel to start but its not priming and shutting the pump off before i start the car its just running continuously. i can drive it but it doesnt run anything like it did of course. do you think i could drive it to my work Nation Tire and battery that is about 10 miles from my house? if so i could get a gauge on it there. i guess im going to check all wires and connections that relate to fuel pump, maybe pump isnt getting enough power? idk but i found a page with sum things i could do to diagnose it.
Fuel problems are usually either a bad fuel pump, a bad fuel pressure regulator, or bad injector(s).
But since you said the pump runs continuously, maybe you do have a wiring issue. Good luck with it.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Fuel problems are usually either a bad fuel pump, a bad fuel pressure regulator, or bad injector(s).
But since you said the pump runs continuously, maybe you do have a wiring issue. Good luck with it.
yea i could of swore it was the pump cause i ran low on fuel like a whole bunch of times, not on purpose but it was just the fuel gauge, damn shape of the tank lol yea but hopefully i figure it out today while i trouble shoot thanks for the help
Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Teching In

ok so i figure it out, i kept forget to check the relay female connectors the green wire connector was spread out so i bent the relay to make contact, didnt realize that the green wire was cut and spliced into the pink wire and they werent makeing good contact so is there any reason to do that?

Quick Reply: fuel system problems?