Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

oil in down pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil in down pipe

so I had started the car a few times but never really let it get to temp. and run for awhile. well I took it for the first trip around the block tonight. once the oil temp got up it started smoking real bad. I tried to fix it with a .063 restrictor in line. didnt seem to help any,it got a little better at idle as it wasnt dripping off the down pipe anymore. but when I went for a little drive soon as I gave it any gas it would smoke. the car never smoked before, so it's not the engine. I'm thinking that I dont have a steep enough return line, plus as it enters the pan it has a 90 fitting on it. I'm running a -3 feed and a -10 return. other then the clutch needing to be adjusted the car runs and idles good.

I was reading about how you need to let it get up to like 500* (the turbo) and get everything "seated" seems kinda strage to me.I'm running a mp t76 q trim. of course I havent gotton on it due to not being tuned,but any gas at all and it just blows smoke. like I said at first you could see it dripping off the pipes. (coming off a v-band I have right before the k-member)

the turbo does sit pretty low, much lower then any other set-up I have ever done/seen. thinking maybe I have to run a return pump.

anyways just looking for some other input,thoughts,expercinces ect...

thanks
matt
Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Teching In

I've got the same problem. I discovered that my return is way too small, so i've got a pump on the way. The way I checked the return is, while I had the return off to measure how much oil the turbo was getting, one time instead of just pouring it back in the filler, I put a funnel in the return and poured it back in there.

Bottom line is that if your getting more oil than you can return, you're gonna get smoke. Someone on here told me most turbos need about .8L per minute for proper operation.

I guess the oil system is the nemesis of custom built turbo setups. At least that is what I've been reading.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

I figured out my problem. I put the return line just under the oil level. So of course gravity won't work. Looks like I'm going to have to pull the pan again.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2000extremeturbo
I've got the same problem. I discovered that my return is way too small, so i've got a pump on the way. The way I checked the return is, while I had the return off to measure how much oil the turbo was getting, one time instead of just pouring it back in the filler, I put a funnel in the return and poured it back in there.

Bottom line is that if your getting more oil than you can return, you're gonna get smoke. Someone on here told me most turbos need about .8L per minute for proper operation.

I guess the oil system is the nemesis of custom built turbo setups. At least that is what I've been reading.
You are correct... Therefore a caution:

If you are getting more oil in that turbocharger than can be returned, the solution cannot be to restrict the oil the turbo is getting by default... You have to ensure the turbo is getting the right amount of oil, whether or not its return is a problem... If returning it is a problem, adding an aux. scavenger pump would be the solution, not restricting the oil to the turbo, generally.

If I turn my savenger pump off manually, my car will start smoking almost immediately... On however, it's completely fine... Not too much oil, just not enough of a way for it to go back.

Quick Reply: oil in down pipe