Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Goat wont start!!!Need ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Goat wont start!!!Need ideas!

Alright here's the story, buddy of mine has an 04 Goat, just put pacesetters LT on with the mid pipes, that all went well. Went for a drive, to make sure everything was working right, got about 1.5 miles and car just shut off, didnt even sputter, just dropped dead.

Did NOT have 02's plugged in now they are. Nothing else was unhooked.

Since it shut off, we have changed plugs, all wires are good.

Checked fuel pressure, have 66 psi before cranking, anywhere between 56-66 psi while cranking.

It did start once but barely, sounded to run good, but when I left it go down to an idle it just shut off, never idled by itself, and when cranking it almost wants to start but never really fires?!?!?!

any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you

^^p.s. those are probably the only things keeping me sane

Last edited by 71ls1; 04-26-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

well if this is related to the exhaust install i would start looking for obvious stuff that could be wrong. it doesnt take headers long to get hot enough to burn through wires and stuff. if i remember right there is several wires on the passenger side running along the k member going upwards (including the wires to the starter and o2s) that get very close to the headers. i remember these because the wrapping seemed brittle from the excessive heat they are exposed to. now perhaps there is a wire crucial to the car running that could be too close to or sitting on the headers and as you got down the road the headers built up enough heat to burn it hence the reason the car shut off so abruptly. Or the car just doesnt like the brand of headers you picked out
Old 04-26-2009, 08:31 PM

yep checked for all the obvious things, and i didnt pick them out, friend did for his car lol, but hey thanks for the response, we just have an angry goat on our hands, and still dont understand why because we're just trying to make it happy with goodies
Old 04-27-2009, 03:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you getting a check engine light or anything else odd?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:01 AM

the only thing that we've found is that after cranking long enough, it displays fuel guage error, but I was thinking that could be caused by low bat voltage, the only other thing is that the check engine light is on for about 30 sec or so after removing the key from cranking, there are no trouble codes.

Have a Predeter programmer that we can go look into the codes
Old 04-27-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

I had this same issue when I forgot to plug in those 3 electrical connectors on the intake filter lid. It sounds like a wire that may have come undone or maybe a fuel filter...but if you're getting good pressure then maybe not.. I'd say electrical.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Teching In

If everything checks out on the hot exhaust side of the equation, check your ignition module relay.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

It could be the crank position sensor or the crank position sensor wires. Ask me how I know. And it wont throw a code.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:30 AM

haha, well i'll ask how you know if i must, i already forgot to plug it in after doing a engine build and didnt start, but then i didnt have spark, and now we do. The only sensors i unhooked were the o2's but i will make sure to double check everything else.

How often to cam sensors go bad, as i'm starting to have a feeling it has nothing to do with the header install, as much as just unfortunate timing of something else just getting tired.

Thanks again for the suggestions, its always easier to brainstorm
Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 AM

Sry WS6 thought you had said cam, crank would also be a possibility, where is that one, and how hard is it to get to?? And now i must know how do you know lol