Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift kit for an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift kit for an auto?

I'm still a bit wet behind the ears around here.....especially when it comes to trannies. Is there some sort of **** kit made for the A4 that will allow you to shift gears without allowing you to accidentally pull the shifter...from lets say the top of second into first!!! I did this last night and was extremely lucky I did mess something up.

I noticed that once taken out of 'D'...the shifter slides through 1-2-3 either forwards or back without pushing the button. Without lookings...it's impossible to tell what gear you're in....and when I'm trying to pace someone...this is no good!!!

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2003, 10:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why would you shift it on your own as it is? Its an electronic tranny...put it in d or OD and go otherwise your just being a dodobrain.

lata
Bill
Old 10-29-2003, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by foff667
why would you shift it on your own as it is? Its an electronic tranny...put it in d or OD and go otherwise your just being a dodobrain.

lata
Bill
I'd like to be able to hold a gear when going around a corner or especially when coming out of a long corner. Also...like I said.....when you're pacing next to somebody....already in the correct gear.........no downshift.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree that you're better off leaving the shifter in D or OD and letting the trans/shifter do the shiftng...

It sounds like you are looking for something that will prevent the shifter from moving more than 1 detent at a time when you pull/push it??? If that's your questsion, you could look into rachet shifters. They only allow 1 shift movement at a time, preventing you from missing the gear you are looking for.

Jeff
Old 10-30-2003, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

I agree that for normal everyday driving....or at the strip....you just leave it in 'D' and go about your business.

But....when you're doing twisties or pacing somebody...you can get yourself into trouble....fast!

This 'ratchet' shifter....what is it?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A rachet shifter is commonly used in drag racing when a manual valve body is used (that is, the tranny no longer shifts on it's own.) It is useful in that you can quickly push it forward (or pull it back depending on the shifter) to change to the next gear without fear of it going up more than one gear. You realease the shifter and it's ready to be shifted again. The same goes for downshifts. No button needed to shift. Just slap it each time a change is needed.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do they make a ratchet shifter for the 4l60e?
Old 10-31-2003, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that's a good question! I wonder if one for a 200-R4 would work? I'm sure one for a 700R4 would work if they make one. Check with B&M and Hurst.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They will fit damn near anything, as long as they are setup for an overdrive trans. Anything that fits the 700 will fit the 4L60. You will have to change the lever on the outside of the trans (real simple) but that usually comes with the shifter.

The problem is finding one that fits in our consoles, and I do not know of any yet. You may find it's possible to stuff one in an M6 console. Lots of TH400/TH350 guys get M6 consoles and use a Cheatah shifter, fits perfect. I don't think there's a version of the Cheatah that fits OD transmissions though.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

I only shift the car manuall when I want to scare ricers, and be a jack *** by holding it in gear. I just leave it in D, and I have found that it is never in the right gear between the speeds of 30-40mph aka in the city. But other then that it is always in gear, but do switch to OD when on the freeway. You walet will thank me $$$gas$$$.