Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions before I start the build. Please help me with my parts list?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:51 PM
RYU
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions before I start the build. Please help me with my parts list?

This will be going into a 66 A-Body Chevelle. Going for budget & driveability vs. horsepower & looks.

Here's what's on my buy list so far. Only major items here. Didn't include fittings or hoses or other things i'll have to piece together on the way.
1. 2002 LS1 Engine with accesories from F-Body - Bought
2. 4L60E Trans from above - Bought
3. Stock Manifold/Headers - Using the stock 2002 manifolds but will buy aftermarket if needed for fitment issues
4. ECU/PCM & Harness - Bought, will rewire myself and get it programmed
5. Spectra Performance Gas Tank Internal pump - Bought
6. Corvette Filter/Regulator (P/N 10299146) - Need to purchase
7. Fuse Block Junction - Will wire myself
8. Gauges - Haven't decided if I should go with all digitals or piece together analog conversion parts for my existing gauges
8. Mounts ...

A few questions about the mounting hardware. This is the part I seem to be stuck on and need a bit of a nudge from you folks.
1. Will the stock manifold work with the new BRP mounts or the other popular engine mount out there? I know the 1998/99 manifolds are different than the 01/02 I believe.
2. Here's the rest of my thought process pros/cons for the top three setups I see out there. (I can't fab up too much of anything due to lack of talent, time, and neighbor noise issues so i'd prefer as much of a bolt on if possible).

Pros/Cons with different swap kits

Option 1: BRP Gen II

* Cost $579 (Mounts & trans crossmember) +$149 LH8 oil pan = $728
* Headers (if needed) - Edelbrock SS headers seems to fit. 64 - 67 A-body #65063. Need to confirm. Bungs have to be welded on. Cost $609. Will the stock 2002 manifold work?
* Don't need to knotch crossmember for A/C
* Need LH8 Oil Pan - Cost $249 but with a $1xx credit if I sell my existing F-Body Pan = $1xx
* Oil pan sits between .5"-1.5" below crossmember (estimated)
* Need to use BRP trans crossmember? could save some money if I flip and reweld my existing?
* Need to grind down the steering box

BRP Gen I / S&P / Hooker

* Overall Cost ?
* Headers - Will Edelbrock fit? 64 - 67 A-body #65063. Bungs Have to be welded $609. Will the stock 2002 manifold work?
* Same F-Body Oil Pan possibly... and keep existing pick-up tube
* A/C relocation bracket needed $197
* Modify existing crossmember?
* Motor sits farther back. Better for weigh distribution
* Flip crossmember/reweld but may need rear upper trailing arms to adjust pinion angle ($200)

Edelbrock

* Cost $609 headers +100 engine mounts + A/C relo kit $197 + oil pan($650?) = $
* Headers 64 - 67 A-body #65063
* Milodon Oil Pan 30915, Oil Pump pickup #18290, Filter Fitting plate #21576, and Filter relocation kit #21575
* Or I can send my pan out to get rewelded
* Flip crossmember/reweld but may need rear upper trailing arms to adjust pinion angle ($200)
* A/C relocation bracket needed $197

I haven't seen a breakdown like this comparing the pros/cons so if there's something i'm missing please let me know so I can make an educated choice with all things considered

Appreciate it guys!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Smile

I would just call bmr they will help with what will work or not
Old 04-30-2009, 04:14 PM
RYU
Staging Lane

I was hoping to get an unbiased opinion but you're right... I may have to resort to that.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Teching In

That LH8 oil pan sits more than 1.75 below the cross member. Street and performance sells a modified f body oil pan, mount plates and headers that actually fit, what a concept. I sent back that oil pan, mounts and headers because nothing worked. Still trying to get my money back.

Go with Street and performance
Old 05-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Launching!

I am going with the edelbrock set up and Russell kit for LS conversions.

I was going to run that tank but keep hearing about problems with the tank, pump and guages. My new budget will not allow for a s/s tank to Russell with do for now.

If you have the LH8 might as well have it mod by S&P. I have also read several times a F body pan should work.

Reloc brackets, several people here have made their own and look good. If any one here has a templete they would like to share send it to me and I can make them at no charge.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:00 PM
RYU
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 71 chevelle
I was going to run that tank but keep hearing about problems with the tank, pump and guages.
I'm curious... What issues have you heard of? I still have it in the box.

also, can i take you up on your offer for the mounts?

this is the S&P style mount I had in mind.
http://matt.undiagnosed.org/ls1/imag...ount_plate.jpg
Old 05-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Launching!

to start issues with the fuel gauge reading correctly. EXP( 3/4 tank = empty) Several cases electronic & stock
also no replacement parts (pump .....) I am going to run a stock tank since I just bought a new one, a 70 velle sending unit that has a return line and russell fuel system 641600
(waiting on fast) fellow member to confirm everything will work.

If you want those mounts I will have them made in a week or so.

I was going to use those as well but decided to just buy the edelbrock.

Quick Reply: A few questions before I start the build. Please help me with my parts list?