Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion on 2 stages.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinion on 2 stages.

I am thinking of adding a 2nd stage to my car for two reasons. Easier on motor and better traction. Right now I have a single stage plate kit. I am wondering what you guys reccommend me doing.

Single stage plate with 2nd stage nozzle

or

Dual stage plate

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Dry first stage, wet second.

Being your a 99 you will likely need bigger injectors for the dry shot. Perhaps even a bigger fuel pump when you light off both stages.

Jim
Old 05-04-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I kinda wanted to stay wet with both. I already have a racetronix pump in and i have injectors here if i need them. Im thinking of getting a stand alone to run race gas in anyways.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

how much are you spraying on the first kit? What are you looking to spray on the 2nd kit??
Old 05-04-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would be looking to spray 150-175. so either a 75/75 or a 100 1st/75 2nd.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

My opinion doing 2 stages for a 150-175hp hit is pointless. I would jet up the first kit and go from there. Waste of money if you ask me.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRAYIN96TA
My opinion doing 2 stages for a 150-175hp hit is pointless. I would jet up the first kit and go from there. Waste of money if you ask me.
x2....The car will be slower on two tiny kits, rather than one small one. The sooner the nitrous comes on, the quicker the car will be. If you spray 175 from the start, you aren't going to get any faster with two small kits adding up to that.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well my goal wasnt to be faster. It was to be easier on the motor and get better traction on the street.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Dry first stage, wet second.

Being your a 99 you will likely need bigger injectors for the dry shot. Perhaps even a bigger fuel pump when you light off both stages.

Jim
Aside from the cool factor, what is the advantage to running both a dry and wet stage?

BTW, love the setup. And I really like the nitrous panel you made me. Might be getting rid of the consol soon and could use a custom panel for the dash panel. You still making them? If so, I will be in touch.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by landonew
Aside from the cool factor, what is the advantage to running both a dry and wet stage?

BTW, love the setup. And I really like the nitrous panel you made me. Might be getting rid of the consol soon and could use a custom panel for the dash panel. You still making them? If so, I will be in touch.
I log fuel Pressure, when the wet hits, it flows more fuel from the rails (than an individual injector) and I get a pretty good drop in the fuel pressure (have seen to 38 psi, pre BAP and racetronics pump/hotwire kit), when using the dry shot, the fuel pressure does not spike as low as the wet kit, likely because it is spread over 8 injectors vice the one orifice of the fuel jet. When plotting the AFR against the fuel pressure, its easy to see the lean spikes at activation. The wet has more of a lean spike than the Dry.

I like dual stage because I can go from NA to moderately entertaining (one stage) to highly amusing (the second stage+first stage) on the street for those random encounters. I think it adds flexibility to an already fun car. I also did the two stage for a poor mans progressive, to put two smaller torque spikes on the driveline vice one big torque spike, as well as not beat the **** out of the noids. We will see if it works out for a little more longevity on the driveline.

Yes I am still making the panels, I am not a vendor here at LS1tech, so I cannot solicite here, but since ya brought it up, here is a pic of my old panel.

Damn, I was hoping my 2000 post would be my 10.9x slip...oh well here's to my 2000th post!

Last edited by Beer99C5; 05-06-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
I log fuel Pressure, when the wet hits, it flows more fuel from the rails (than an individual injector) and I get a pretty good drop in the fuel pressure (have seen to 38 psi, pre BAP and racetronics pump/hotwire kit), when using the dry shot, the fuel pressure does not spike as low as the wet kit, likely because it is spread over 8 injectors vice the one orifice of the fuel jet. When plotting the AFR against the fuel pressure, its easy to see the lean spikes at activation. The wet has more of a lean spike than the Dry.

I like dual stage because I can go from NA to moderately entertaining (one stage) to highly amusing (the second stage+first stage) on the street for those random encounters. I think it adds flexibility to an already fun car. I also did the two stage for a poor mans progressive, to put two smaller torque spikes on the driveline vice one big torque spike, as well as not beat the **** out of the noids. We will see if it works out for a little more longevity on the driveline.

Yes I am still making the panels, I am not a vendor here at LS1tech, so I cannot solicite here, but since ya brought it up, here is a pic of my old panel.

Damn, I was hoping my 2000 post would be my 10.9x slip...oh well here's to my 2000th post!

The panel is really nice. What datalogger do you use?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by landonew
The panel is really nice. What datalogger do you use?
EFI Live V2
In addition to tune items from the PCM (MAF Freq, RPM, Gm/Cyl, Speed, etc) I am set up to log Relay Status for both dry and wet to see when it is actually spraying. Fuel pressure I am logging through the EGR pins on the PCM, Bottle Pressure I log as well. Wideband info is logged as well w/ an LC-1

This log is a test of the Dry at the track, issues identified...Burst Knock @ launch, and relay flickering off and on (dry not spraying like it should).

Jim
Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99ccz28
well my goal wasnt to be faster. It was to be easier on the motor and get better traction on the street.
Dont take this the wrong way, I am by far trying to be an *******....

By the time you buy a 2nd kit you could just buy a set of MT DR's or BFG's and have all the traction you want. I have seen ALOT of H/C N20 A4 cars DO WORK on the street with MT Dr's and BFG's....I guess I dont see a point in it. But hey, everybody has there opinion...

I understand why you want to do it. I really do. Once again this is my opinion. Why not just put a 150hp on it and see what happens. You are already spraying a 100hp....50hp isn't going to blow that thing up or be harder on the eingine....

Last edited by SPRAYIN96TA; 05-06-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to aggree with the above statements. For the HP level you are spraying you would be much better off investing in suspension or tires. A 150 hp is a cake walk for a stock LS1 so the extra strain should not be a concern.

If you want to go dual stage my vote is for our dual stage plate kit. A nozzle would work though and Ofcourse Wet!!
Dave
Old 05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys I already have MTs and full rear suspension. I think I have changed my mind anyway and going to do things a little different. Thanks though!