problems, help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:55 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Default problems, help.

this is on a 1997 camaro z28
ok, so i previously had problems with excessively high idle, 1500 rpms, along with a misfire.

the high idle ended up being the IAC valve, and the EGR valve/solenoid. which i had codes for both. so the idle is fixed, now i'm still struggling with the misfire.

i'm throwing "p0300-random multiple misfire."
the only time i can feel or hear the misfire is once the engine is warmed up, and only at idle, not at WOT.

now,... i was told that i could be the coil, opti, ICM, plugs, wires.

well the plugs are new nkg tr55's, and the wires are new factory replacement wires. which would rule those two out, because i'm not getting any arcing or anything like that.

i was told that if the ICM or coil was in fact bad, the car would have problems starting or running at all, which is not my problem, so i wasn't thinking this was my problem either.

leaving only the opti as the culprit, but it's sparking fine when i unplug the distributor boots from the opti, which is really throwing me for a loop.

then, i was told that it was in fact the o2 sensors because of the open/closed loop problem. seeing that my MAF sensor is new.

so i figured if i unplug the first two o2 sensors and if it still ran bad then that was my problem.
i did so, and the car seemed to run the same.

the EGR,IAC,MAF,TPS, plugs, wires, are all new.

is it the coil, opti, ICM, or o2's that are causing my problem?

HELP please? i'm tired of spending fixing money on this car, i want go fast parts,and mods.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If any of the plug wires are touching the headers you will get a misfire.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:25 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
If any of the plug wires are touching the headers you will get a misfire.

Originally Posted by scj
well the plugs are new nkg tr55's, and the wires are new factory replacement wires. which would rule those two out, because i'm not getting any arcing or anything like that.
so, yea..