Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual cats, or single??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual cats, or single??

I'm about to begin the exhaust portion of my t-76 fed 5.3 build, and am wondering about catalytic converters. I'm planning on running 10-12 lbs of boost max, and am needing to maintain the use of a cat system of some sort. I've been looking at converters from Random Tech, but am unsure if I should use 1 cat, or split into a 3 inch "y" after the turbo dump and run 2 of the 3 inch cats and duals out the back. The mufflers are already on order from SpinTech, so either way, I'll be using them. Also, I would like the exhaust to be suitable for use behind the ffi 6.0 stroker that I'm building for the car when it is ready.

Obviously, it would be nice to get by with 1, but even though I'm running cats I'm still concerned about "choking" up the turbo.

Any suggestions??
Old 05-12-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody?
Old 05-12-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

give people more than 2 1/2 hours to answer a question.
just get 2 high flow cats.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 608kZ28
give people more than 2 1/2 hours to answer a question.
just get 2 high flow cats.
I was hoping for a constructive reply as to why or why not....and 40+ views with no reply was looking like no one had any idea. Still looks that way.

Thanks for the curt reply based strictly on opinion

I'm hoping for some answers possibly based on real-world hp/tq with a given FFI setup (ie: single or dual cats/ single or dual tail pipe)....and yes, room is a concern as well. Even THOUGHTFUL opinion would be greatly appreciated, as I realize not everyone here has done what I'm wanting to do. Have you ever tried to fit 2 3" cats down the passenger side of an f-body? It does'nt look too pretty clearance-wise....but I'll do it if I have to, in an attempt to pass DEQ testing. But if it's not required, then why bother?

Again, thoughts??
Old 05-13-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

keep it as close to stock as possible, otherwise the cats are pointless (unless your cautious about the environment

cats have to heat up at a certain rate to have the best performance, the stock setup allows for them to heat up at this rate, as well as pre-fabricated catted Y pipes
Old 05-13-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
keep it as close to stock as possible, otherwise the cats are pointless (unless your cautious about the environment

cats have to heat up at a certain rate to have the best performance, the stock setup allows for them to heat up at this rate, as well as pre-fabricated catted Y pipes
I'm thinking that heat will not be a problem. I guess my main concern is being too restrictive for the turbo to dump like it should...but I also don't want to use a dual-cat setup if a single cat will flow what I need. I'm just not sure exactly what kind of flow I need....or can get.... through a cat.