Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance!

What do you tell 'em with a LSx swapped into your vehicle?

Just give them the VIN #? Or tell them about your engine swap?

I also want to know if you have full coverage, or just liability?
Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was Bored @ work thinking this same question...Hahaha.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Truthfully answer whatever they ask, but don't volunteer anything more than they ask.

My car is too old to have full comprehensive. I would need to get a stated value policy. Opinions differ but in my opinion it is not worth the effort. My car only leaves the garage on weekends in the summer.

Insurance companies don't seem to ask for modifications when it is a liability policy only. At least I have never had one ask what was done to the car. They did ask how many miles it is driven a year.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 05-16-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

State Farm had my car appraised and then insured it for the appraised value, Then they wanted reciets for everything aftermarket so they could be replaced if it was stolen and stripped.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

I have mine through progressive direct. They allow you to give a stated value for your vehicle. They did not ask what was modified or any of that business. I have resiepts for everything though.

I would not willingly give that infomation unless it was needed. Most insurance companies see it as a huge liability and may not even cover you. I found this out when I was trying to insure my vehicle for a dollar amount not too long ago.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the same thing that Erie told me. (I think they're the same as Esurance?)

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
State Farm had my car appraised and then insured it for the appraised value, Then they wanted reciets for everything aftermarket so they could be replaced if it was stolen and stripped.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NMJ87T2
I have mine through progressive direct. They allow you to give a stated value for your vehicle. They did not ask what was modified or any of that business. I have resiepts for everything though.

I would not willingly give that infomation unless it was needed. Most insurance companies see it as a huge liability and may not even cover you. I found this out when I was trying to insure my vehicle for a dollar amount not too long ago.
Wait until your first claim. I also have Progressive Direct. Somebody decided to break in to my car (I have shaved doors) when the adjuster looked at it, he must have filled a whole memory card with the pictures. He had me open the tilt front end, but never said a word about the wrong motor being in it. They paid my claim ($1300 in damages to steal a $180 radio) and I didn't hear a word about it. I have their stated value insurance on it. I worried for a month, that they were going to cancel me.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

THere are several Classic Car insurance specialty companies. I use Grundy and have mine insured for "Agreed Value". Thre is a big difference between stated value and agreed value. Ask your agent about the difference. Agreed value is exactly that if it's totalled or stolen, that's what you get. It is my understanding that stated value policies can be depreciated. With Grundy all they asked was that I send some pictures of the car, no argument at all about the value I said. So far no claims, but their reputation is very good. Shop around, Google Classic car insurance.

Pat
Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
THere are several Classic Car insurance specialty companies. I use Grundy and have mine insured for "Agreed Value". Thre is a big difference between stated value and agreed value. Ask your agent about the difference. Agreed value is exactly that if it's totalled or stolen, that's what you get. It is my understanding that stated value policies can be depreciated. With Grundy all they asked was that I send some pictures of the car, no argument at all about the value I said. So far no claims, but their reputation is very good. Shop around, Google Classic car insurance.

Pat

You are correct in there being a differance between stated value and agreed value, but for agreed value, you'll need some type of proof for the value. Progressive doesn't allow you to get agreed value insurance for a daily driver.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FastKat
This is the same thing that Erie told me. (I think they're the same as Esurance?)
Erie Ins. and E surance are different. But what Fast Kat said, they appraise it and want receipts....believe it or not your premiums dont go up in only a little. Im thru Erie Ins. (I know you can get it in Chicago through ERIE) and to be honest with you, they are the best....their pricing is very competitive and fair and their customer service rocks. I would recomend them to anyone. Check out their website if you need any more info. www.erieinsurance.com

Just to give you an idea.....I have my 2000 TA, 2005 Grand Prix, 2006 G6 GTP and I am paying only $1580 a year.....26 and married. I think thats pretty good.

Hope this helped.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Teching In

It is a very bad idea not to tell them about EVERYTHING you have on your vehicle. So I disagree with the "don't ask, don't tell" thinking.

I have a friend that USED to have a 2003 procharged 5.3 bagged and shaved silverado. He had 15000 of aftermarket parts on it.

Guess what his insurance company gave him back when the truck was stolen and put up on blocks a few miles away from his house? 7800, fair market value.

He was so shook up by it, I felt pretty bad for him.

Personally, I would ALWAYS tell the insurance company about anything aftermarket- as long as it was full coverage.

-Wes
Old 05-22-2009, 05:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hagerty will give you a declared value insurance as well. they ask for pictures and such but will only cover if it you are heading to a car show or something similar. They wouldnt insure mine because my cars interior wasnt done.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope this does not violate forum rules, if it does the Moderators should remove it. Here is a great link to a letter discussing Grundy's insurance coverage. I use them and have found them to be great to work with.

http://www.myclassiccar.com/pdf/Youarereallyinsured.pdf

Pat

Quick Reply: Insurance!