Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Favor from guys with hptuners running 2 or 3 bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Favor from guys with hptuners running 2 or 3 bar

I asked this in tuning section but more guys on here I think running hptuners with boost.
I put in 3 bar tune today. I think did it ok. I wasn't sure if supposed fail maf to 0hz? and if what to turn off exactly on maf codes in dtc.
Also when changing my pid on scanner i delet the maf and the map pid and when go to insert the 3 bar pid from choosing engine then airlfow like in the instructions it only gives me option to enter manifold air pressure but no choice for 2 or 3bar ? what gives..my car is 99. Also didn't record the map reading before installing 3 bar map and new tune.Someone said the default value wouldn't be right then that shoudl have scanned the 1bar .I do have 96 that can get map reading off its same thing? Any other way to do this do I have to calibrate that new 3 bar. CAn I just figure it out if know my alititude where i live which is 1900 feet can find out more exactly if need be.

Car at least fired up . I would prefer if mods could leave this for awhile in this section as said seems no one reads the tuning section. I posted on hptuners forum but no response there either yet.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I asked this in tuning section but more guys on here I think running hptuners with boost.
I put in 3 bar tune today. I think did it ok. I wasn't sure if supposed fail maf to 0hz? and if what to turn off exactly on maf codes in dtc.
Set MAF fail frequency to 0.
The PCM will detect a MAF fault as soon as you key on and thus revert to speed density mode.
The PCM requires a MAF DTC to be set to revert into speed density mode. If you set all of your MAF DTCs (101, 102, 103) to no error reported the PCM will not revert to speed density.
The factory settings will work but if you are concerned about an SES light, set the DTC's to No MIL Light. The PCM will still set the code for a MAF fault and thus still revert to speed density.

Also when changing my pid on scanner i delet the maf and the map pid and when go to insert the 3 bar pid from choosing engine then airlfow like in the instructions it only gives me option to enter manifold air pressure but no choice for 2 or 3bar ? what gives..my car is 99. Also didn't record the map reading before installing 3 bar map and new tune.Someone said the default value wouldn't be right then that shoudl have scanned the 1bar .I do have 96 that can get map reading off its same thing? Any other way to do this do I have to calibrate that new 3 bar. CAn I just figure it out if know my alititude where i live which is 1900 feet can find out more exactly if need be.
You just need to set the PID to manifold air pressure, and I usually switch it to kpa and get used to using that. It does not matter what amount of boost your running on the pid, you are just defining what you want to see in the scanner. When you license the 3 bar tune properly it will change the map values to the correct settings just as long as you are running the proper map sensor. You can also double check it with a regulator and scanner to see if they match. With the car not running you should see 95-100 kpa, if you have 14.7 psi added to the port it should read around 200 kpa or so.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
set maf fail frequency to 0.
The pcm will detect a maf fault as soon as you key on and thus revert to speed density mode.
The pcm requires a maf dtc to be set to revert into speed density mode. If you set all of your maf dtcs (101, 102, 103) to no error reported the pcm will not revert to speed density.

Ok did that so car is not running in speed density then? Maybe why idle is like 14.7 to one line connected to reg and gets richer when line is off.i think have to set pump to variable in the hptuners fuel system section right??

The factory settings will work but if you are concerned about an ses light, set the dtc's to no mil light. The pcm will still set the code for a maf fault and thus still revert to speed density. Ok will do this..

You just need to set the pid to manifold air pressure, and i usually switch it to kpa and get used to using that. It does not matter what amount of boost your running on the pid, you are just defining what you want to see in the scanner. When you license the 3 bar tune properly it will change the map values to the correct settings just as long as you are running the proper map sensor. You can also double check it with a regulator and scanner to see if they match. With the car not running you should see 95-100 kpa, if you have 14.7 psi added to the port it should read around 200 kpa or so.
how do i liscence the 3 bar properly??

So is my idle really lean because its not really in speed density from what was said above. Is there any way to richen up idle by itself. Set my pe tables already and my injectors.

I really really apreciate your help guy!
Old 05-16-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

how do i liscence the 3 bar properly??

So is my idle really lean because its not really in speed density from what was said above. Is there any way to richen up idle by itself. Set my pe tables already and my injectors.

I really really apreciate your help guy!

Here is a demo showing how to start building a tune using HP tuners. It sounds like you have a ton of reading and learning in your future.

http://www.hptuners.com/help/demos/2%20bar%20sd.swf

They do not have one for 3 bar, but it works exactly the same just a larger ve table. Dont forget the help tab in the tuner and scanner, almost every question I have answered so far could be found there.

If the maf is still installed just go ahead and unplug it to make sure it is not affecting the tune.

Last edited by black98ws6ta; 05-16-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok will read that. I have been using hptuners and other programs to tune my talons and my 96z obd2. I have used hptuners NA for years or two and then with my turbo car last fall on maf and 60 pound injectors it was running great.
But never did a speed density tune before .I put in the maf sensor no light and turned it back on. Car seems to be running well didn't leave driveway but running better now. Intead of going lean at idle now its showing almost rich.low 10s.
I took base pressure to 40psi line off and set my big 120s down for that pressure.
Well guess do some more reading.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Ok will read that. I have been using hptuners and other programs to tune my talons and my 96z obd2. I have used hptuners NA for years or two and then with my turbo car last fall on maf and 60 pound injectors it was running great.
But never did a speed density tune before .I put in the maf sensor no light and turned it back on. Car seems to be running well didn't leave driveway but running better now. Intead of going lean at idle now its showing almost rich.low 10s.
I took base pressure to 40psi line off and set my big 120s down for that pressure.
Well guess do some more reading.
Don't forget that if you change your injectors or fuel pressure to correct your IFR table.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

I changed my ifr to 110 for my injectors they are like 114.9 on gas at 43.5 . so mabye still have them too high.they are maybe more like 106. I can't use that table on hptuners to figure it out I don't have some program to use it. My friend usually calculates it for me. Have to get him to see.They are racetronix injectors.So not sure now why getting like 10.23 at idle. Before was like 14.7. What should I be getting at idle?
Old 05-16-2009, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

14.7 afr is what you want at idle, which is stoich

The injector calculator is on here on the right side: http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/
Old 05-16-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

My first guess would be all the pulsewidth tables that need to be adjusted. Also if this is a fresh motor be careful with it running long being that rich.

Quick Reply: Favor from guys with hptuners running 2 or 3 bar