Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What did I kill?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did I kill?

About two months ago I spun my car and didn't put the clutch in before my brakes locked up. Since then my rear has been getting louder, peaking about a 2 weeks ago. The pinion seems to have a small leak, leaves maybe 2 drops on the driveway after about 45min of driving home from work. I have been checking the fluid level, it never really changed was always just below the fill hole. Last weekend I put the car up on jack stands and brought it up to 3rd gear. The driver side tire was spinning fine, but the passenger side was intermittently getting very brief power. I lightly touched the brakes and nothing changed.

Today I pulled the diff cover to see what was what and found no significant damage to the ring, pinion, or diff. The magnet though was covered in metal . Guessing that it got knocked out of proper alignment, as to what shifted or stretched to do that I have no idea. Here are some pics, any advice or help would be appreciated.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Teching In

No suggestions as to the culprit?

BTW didn't get any quieter with the new fluid fill, but at least it hasn't gotten any louder.

With that much metal on the magnet, am I looking at a complete rebuild replacing everything including the diff? Or are some of the parts salvageable?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:51 PM
11 Second Club

Its normal for verry verry verry small shavings of metal to be on the magnet.
Just get you a rebuild kit from somewhere and get it rebuilt.
Your ring, pinion, and locker should be ok.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be a bearing, I believe a whole rebuild kit is about $110. The pinion seal needs to be done anyway. Bearings on the pinion could be bad as well as the carrier ones. All of which have to be pressed on though.
Dan-