General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight problem

hey guys haven't posted in a while but i ran into a problem the other day and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

My driver side headlight stopped flipping up, no noise from the motor or anything. The lights still work and i can manually open it but that gets old fast. The weird thing is now when i lock/ unlock my car with the key fob, the passenger side light (the one that works) flips up then right back down. At first i thought my driver side motor went out, now it seems like an electrical problem. Has anyone ran into anything like this?
Old 05-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When you wind the headlight up by hand, then turn the headlight switch on and off, does absolutely nothing happen at with that motor?

If the motor isn't even moving at all it could just be fried. But a common issue that causes about 10 different weird *** things to go on with the headlights and motors is the gear stripping out in one or both motors. But all its takes is one and you will get all kinds of wierd **** happening.

Scroll way down to the FREE FIX:
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm
Old 05-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for that link theres a lot of info on there.

yeah, when i manually put it up and turn the lights on and off nothing at all happens. It seems like my motors fried but i don't understand how that would affect the other one.

if the gear stripped wouldn't i hear grinding?
Old 05-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Black95TA

if the gear stripped wouldn't i hear grinding?
No, it won't start grinding until a few teeth all in a row are worn down, giving it some play while its trying turn the gear to its full position. If only one tooth is getting worn out it won't grind yet.

Before you buy a motor or anything, I would make sure you're getting power to the motor and that the plug is good. I would also smack the motor with a hammer (not too hard). It might free it up if its got corrision built up on it inside. It may have frozen in a position thats wigging out the other light motor. Just like we sometimes do with a frozen door window motor, smacking them alot of times frees them up and they work for a couple more years, or longer.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

ah that makes sense. Im going to try that tomorrow, thanks a lot for the help!