Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch fork or throwout problem?? (95 T56)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch fork or throwout problem?? (95 T56)

OK, if you look back a page or so in this forum I made a thread about possible clutch master/slave problems. In short, my clutch was working fine and all of a sudden the pedal would go mostly to the floor and couldn't shift so I thought it was probably the clutch master or slave.

Well when I took off the slave cyl from the bellhousing I played with the clutch fork for a little to make sure everything seemed kosher with it, but it seems messed up. I can push the end of the clutch fork (where the slave rod goes) about 2 inches back into the bellhousing before it stops, and it is a hard "click" like it is hitting the bellhousing for something else on the other end of the fork. It's been a while since I put my slave on last summer after I had the motor/trans out so I can't remember how it should feel but this seems wrong. Shouldn't the end of the fork not be able to push back into the bellhousing by hand? IIRC it should only go about flush with the bellhousing by hand.

I tried to take the fork back out (if you pull the end of it out it slides down about 2 inches which I assume is normal, so you can pull it off the throwout) then put it back on but no matter what I do it always goes back to feeling like I described above (pushes back a couple inches into the bellhousing, pulls out a couple too)

I have a bad feeling I'm going to have to take the trans out due to either a fork problem (pivot bolt loose or the metal clip on the back is messed) or a throwout problem, but before I do can anyone offer any input into what might be happening here? Also has anyone ever had the clutch fork come off of the throwout on its own after it had been put together and working fine for a few hundred miles??
Old 05-23-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the fork wasn't properly seated in its detent last time it was installed, and it's been pushing against the detent instead of the pivot...the detent finally failed.

Quick Reply: Clutch fork or throwout problem?? (95 T56)