Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

meth with race set up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default meth with race set up?

how many people are running meth on there 408 88mm turbo set up....street/strip? on the truck it was like night and day. but using raceing fuel and being able to run so much timing bc. of the fuel i dont see the need in it.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:18 AM
TECH Resident

anyone??
Old 05-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running methanol on my 402 with a F1-R. I am using unleaded 104, but I am using the methanol for its cooling affect and not 'octane' value.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Launching!

If the car is race only Meth is unbeatable!

Im guessing your talking about using Methanol as the primary fuel and not a methanol injection system that supplements your primary fuel/suppresses detonation.

We run Methanol in our monster truck engines. We run higher static Compression ratios, and then slap an 871 blower on top. 1500hp aint easy to do, but Methanol gives you a nice tuning cushion.

Now if you want to run meth, you will need to completely redo your fuel setup. Methanol likes to eat things... ALL of your fuel system needs to be converted or checked to see if the parts are methanol compatible.

Ethanol is a much more compatible fuel with an OEM style fuel setup. E85 is roughly 105 octane, and still considered pump gas. I forget how much extra fuel you will need with E85, but I tune for 30-50% fuel increase but every car/engine is different. I run it in my Grand National, and let me tell you it is awesome! Even though it's detonation resistance is roughly 105, it behaves more like 110 race fuel if you keep the tune a little fat. I dont have an E85 station close to me since I moved, but I am highly considering getting a 55 gallon drum or two and going and filling them up and keeping them at the shop. 93 just flat out sucks when you're hooked on E85...

Now if You want to run Methanol as a primary fuel, then your whole cold side of your setup can be greatly simplified... You dont need an intercooler when running methanol, the fuel actually pulls so much heat out of the intake charge and is so resistant to detonation, that and intercooler is simply not necessary. Some may argue with that, but for a pure race machine, I would not worry about it... If you're really worried about IATs then tap into your fuel system, and run a small constant flow nozzle either right before the TB or an even smaller nozzle like a M1,2, or 3 just prior to the turbo... If doing Pre-turbo make sure it's a SMALL nozzle.

E85 is great for a street/strip car and is an easy conversion, but Methanol is definitely more race oriented as a primary fuel... With E85 you just empty your tank, fill it up with e85, and retune if your current system can handle the extra fuel requirements! Also if you're just E85 curios, you can mix it in with your regular gas. Start with a 25% mix, play around with boost levels and tuning, and see how ya like it... It's addictive, trust me

Quick Reply: meth with race set up?