Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Need some eboost2 help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need some eboost2 help

I hooked it up and finally got to go out for a drive. The damn thing went to 15lbs and stayed right around there withing a .5 lbs. I told my wife to let me know if it goes over 10 and after I went through the gear she was like it was 15.8. I was like WTF! It pulled 5.5 degrees and was lean as hell. But I'm hoping that what leaned it out was the KR. It didn't feel like it was pulling too good either, but hell with 8.5* it shouldn't. I'm just glad it stayed together and it isn't smoking. Everything seems ok, so I'm thankful for that.

I had the setpoint 1 set at 25 because it says that 30 is ~10psi. Either they are damn liars or something isn't right.

I thought I had everything right, I'm guessing not. I have it setup as the first external wastegate diagram shows except I have a T for the BOV also.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

what is your gate spring?
Old 05-28-2009, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

7lb spring
Old 05-28-2009, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

On a side not, the over boost protection was at 16lbs and it didn't reach that. I thought I set it at 13lbs, guess I didn't. It is now 12.5 lbs.

My desired boost level is 8lbs for setpoint1. My setpoint2 is for 11lbs. But it's probably way higher judging by the setpoint1
Old 05-28-2009, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just turn the set point down to 10 and see what happens.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

I think I found either another problem or the cause of the problem. The gauge isn't reading vacuum. Once it is powered up it reads .6 and started it ranges between .6-.9 a positive pressure when it should be reading vacuum.

So either a wiring problem exists which I'm not seeing how or the vacuum lines are routed wrong. Which I have a mechanical gauge and it is reading correctly.

Any input?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

check to make sure your wastegate duty cycle is correct for the boost pressure you set.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1psycho
check to make sure your wastegate duty cycle is correct for the boost pressure you set.
Don't follow you there. The wastegate has a 7lb spring. I'd like to get the vacuum reading situated before I even worry about the boost settings, I think that is the problem and if it isn't THE problem, it's still a problem.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Coal Mining Director

Where did you tap the vac/boost line for the EB2??? Manifold?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
Where did you tap the vac/boost line for the EB2??? Manifold?
Yes from the manifold. I also have a mechanical boost gauge T'd there and it reads vacuum and boost as it should. Not sure whats going on
Old 05-28-2009, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1psycho
I think he is talking about the gate pressure setting that holds the wastegate closed until you want it to open.

He is saying that you may set higher then the boost you are trying to achieve.

I only have one line going inside the cab and it goes to my gauge. I just Tee'd into it for the Eboost. They both read the same. I am pulling all of my vacuum off of the PCV hookup on the passenger side of the intake.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Yes from the manifold. I also have a mechanical boost gauge T'd there and it reads vacuum and boost as it should. Not sure whats going on
Sure you have it set to read psi?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On my instructions it says that the 30psi = 10psi is for internal waste gates only! On external wg u set it at whatever your desired psi is... I set mine at 7psi my obs at 9psi it works good! I havent figured out the sensitivity or gate pressure yet...
Old 05-29-2009, 05:38 AM
11 Second Club

Sure you have it set to read psi?
I did the factory reset and that is what it says its supposed to read. With the KO it should read 0.0, but it reads 0.6 and the same when it's started.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sluggish
I think he is talking about the gate pressure setting that holds the wastegate closed until you want it to open.

I only have one line going inside the cab and it goes to my gauge. I just Tee'd into it for the Eboost. They both read the same. I am pulling all of my vacuum off of the PCV hookup on the passenger side of the intake.

I have all of mine T'd off of the vacuum port behind the throttle body too.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by juicedls1
On my instructions it says that the 30psi = 10psi is for internal waste gates only! On external wg u set it at whatever your desired psi is... I set mine at 7psi my obs at 9psi it works good! I havent figured out the sensitivity or gate pressure yet...
There is some good info in the Turbo FAQ that MM wrote up on the basics of the Eboost2, it should explain the GP and sensitivity better.

That 25 that I have it set to is ] just an arbitrary number and it's different from setup to setup. I realize this now, but I would think it would still read vacuum when the KOE On and read 0.0 with the KOE Off
Old 05-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I did the factory reset and that is what it says its supposed to read. With the KO it should read 0.0, but it reads 0.6 and the same when it's started.
The factory reset is supposed to default to psi, but I'd still check it through the SETUP menu since it takes 5 seconds to see if "PSI" is flashing. If psi is flashing and the unit still reads 0.6 while the engine is on...I'd send it back to be inspected for a bad internal map sensor.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

The factory reset is supposed to default to psi, but I'd still check it through the SETUP menu since it takes 5 seconds to see if "PSI" is flashing. If psi is flashing and the unit still reads 0.6 while the engine is on...I'd send it back to be inspected for a bad internal map sensor.
Well I think I found the problem. I checked it this morning and when I pulled the gauge out I seen a crimp in the black hose connected to the eboost2. I must have missed it the 20 times I went over this thing. I remember going over the hose, but somehow I missed it.

I turned the key and it reads 0.0 and with it running it reads -10 to -11 I'm assuming that is inches of mercury not psi. I didn't get to drive it because I had to go to work and it looked like it was going to rain.

So hopefully that is the fix and I can get this thing going again.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sluggish

correctamundo!

i recently had my turbo car tuned and the eboost was dead on but it needed some big time adjustments to get it to work. depending on what total boost pressure you would like to see you also need to set the wastegate duty cycle to allow that to happen. its a little more involved than i would have liked. i shouold of just bought an ams500.

then again i have three friends with ams' and none of them can just type in an actual boost pressure and get it.

Quick Reply: Need some eboost2 help