Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Can the stock map sensor leak under boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can the stock map sensor leak under boost?

I have been trying to chase down a boost leak, have pressureized the charge pipes and fixed all leaks there but my boost is still falling off by about 2psi by the end of every gear. I cant find any exhaust leaks either.

I felt on the back of the intake on the stock map sensor which now is pretty much just a plug in the intake and it only has one little arm with a notch holding it in place. Dont know if there was supposed to be two of them or not but now its just one and while it stays in the hole it can be moved side to side a good bit. Anyone ever had an issue like this?

Next step for me will be to pull the rocker shafts off and pressurize all the pipes and the intake manifold itself. I'm pretty much shooting in the dark at this point.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have fast so drilled and tapped where map goes and moved it off but it should fit good on stock intakes as they have the retainer clip.

I found best way to check for boost leaks is to take car to automotive smoke machine . Local shop has one. That works so much better than pressurizing things .I found leaks in seconds on my 97 talon it was just awesome.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I have fast so drilled and tapped where map goes and moved it off but it should fit good on stock intakes as they have the retainer clip.

I found best way to check for boost leaks is to take car to automotive smoke machine . Local shop has one. That works so much better than pressurizing things .I found leaks in seconds on my 97 talon it was just awesome.
Thanks for that suggestion, I've never heard of an automotive smoke machine I'll have to check it out.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is that?
Old 05-31-2009, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

The answer is yes it can!

I pressurized the turbo again but didnt pull the rockers to close the valves, I cranked up the pressure to put a steady 10 psi through the system. I immeadiatly heard a very audable rush of air. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out that it was coming from the #8 injector o-ring, I couldnt beleive it. I have noticed a very faint smell of fuel but NEVER found a drop anywhere, I thought maybe it was something to do with the evap line or me just being paranoid.

I pulled the o-ring off the injector and it looked fine but I changed it anyway, I put it back in and repressurized the system and it was quieter but I still heard the hiss of air coming out of another spot. Yes it was the factory MAP sensor, this leak wasnt as bad as the first though. I put a little RTV around it and will put the air to it tomorow and see if it works. Hope I have it fixed for good.

Quick Reply: Can the stock map sensor leak under boost?