Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR 205 Install Check List

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default AFR 205 Install Check List

So here's the skinny : I picked up a set of AFR 205's incredibly cheap. I am going to be doing a mass install of all the parts i've been accumulating from the past few months. I was just wanting a few opinions on some parts that i have yet to purchase, and if i'm missing anything. The car is a weekend warrior with mild to moderate strip duty (any time i can get it there it goes)

As the car sits: 2002 Z/28 - A4 - 46k miles
-Vengeance VRX4 cam (228/230 .588 .590 on a 112)
-TSP pushrods 7.4"
-Patriot dual Golds with Ti. retainers, new seats seals
-Ported LS6 oil pump
-LS2 timing chain
-P&P TB
-Whisper Lid
-42lb injectors (stockers were @97% before swap)
-Vigilante 4000 stall
-Built tranny
-Stock 3.23 rear

-QA1 single adj. fronts
-UMI subframes (welded)
-UMI adj panhard
-UMI adj LCA's
-LCA relos (welded)

And yet to be installed:
-BMR Tubular K member
-BMR Tubular Lower A arms
-Poly Motor Mounts
-AFR 205 heads. 62cc chambers. AFR dual springs

And what I'll have by install time
-rod bolts Katech or ARP (opinions?)
-Cometic .040 gaskets (open to suggestions...)
-Pushrod Length checker
-LS7 Lifters (opinions?)
-New head bolts (ARP or stock)
-Vengeance ported FAST 92 & TB (pending funds @ summer's end)

If you could give opinions, experience with any of the parts i have listed, i would really appreciate it! thanks!

Last edited by STEEPSS; 05-31-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a fine list you have there. Head gaskets you might want to think about a set of GM MLS they are more forgiving then cometics if your not having the block decked. I haven't had any leaks with my cometic's but my heads and block were new and checked at the machine shop. Head bolts... I would go with arp over the stockers, The arp's are reuseable too. Lifters... The ls7's will work fine. Rod bolts... My arp rod bolts are doing just fine, but I've never heard of any problems with the katech either. Good luck with the new round of mods.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by conan
Sounds like a fine list you have there. Head gaskets you might want to think about a set of GM MLS they are more forgiving then cometics if your not having the block decked. I haven't had any leaks with my cometic's but my heads and block were new and checked at the machine shop. Head bolts... I would go with arp over the stockers, The arp's are reuseable too. Lifters... The ls7's will work fine. Rod bolts... My arp rod bolts are doing just fine, but I've never heard of any problems with the katech either. Good luck with the new round of mods.
any other thoughts on the head gaskets? the engine has never been apart. I was only going to use the Cometics for the added gain in quench. ARP head bolts are pretty much for certain. As with the LS7 lifters. The only thing I'm really up in the air on is the rod bolt selection. I know there are tons of people out there with each setup. I just don't want to cheap out $100 bucks and have it cost me an engine. Right now shift point is at 6600 and limiter at 6800. i added a FAST intake to the list. that will depend on funds at the end of the summer.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, can anyone give me a number as to what my compression ratio will be with this setup? I've done some looking, and I think it will be in the 11.5 to 1 area. Is this close, or can someone give a little insight on the matter?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good looking list but if you already have pushrods there is no need for the Pushrod Length checker. you should put everything on then use the Pushrod Length checker and then buy the exact length pushrods.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cookba
good looking list but if you already have pushrods there is no need for the Pushrod Length checker. you should put everything on then use the Pushrod Length checker and then buy the exact length pushrods.
??
Having different lifters will change my valvetrain geometry, so i'll need to check the length of my pushrods, right? Hence the need for a pushrod length checker.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Regular

I think what he means is why did you already buy stock length PRs if you were going to go with a longer lifter?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Banned

^^Marines always understand each other. HAHAHA
Old 06-03-2009, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LCplmarine98
I think what he means is why did you already buy stock length PRs if you were going to go with a longer lifter?
Ah. Thats understandable. Well, I replaced the pushrods when I did the cam, before I had plans of putting heads and lifters on the car. I stumbled across a pair of AFR 205's for 1200 bucks, and you cant tell me you wouldn't be broke for a month to buy them....