Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

cut SS hood for cowl induction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default cut SS hood for cowl induction?

i'm basically looking to help reduce underhood temperatures without switching to a cowl induction hood. please give any input you might have.

is it possible to cut the stock SS hood to make this happen? how difficult would it be? would there be problems with paint cracking or the hood itself cracking?

would the opening function well enough to make it work?

here's a few photos to show what i have in mind. i'm thinking of cutting where it is highlighted in red.

would look like this:
Attached Thumbnails cut SS hood for cowl induction?-9802camarosshd3.jpg   cut SS hood for cowl induction?-9802camarosshd5.jpg   cut SS hood for cowl induction?-cowl.jpg   cut SS hood for cowl induction?-cowlchop.jpg  
Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your purposes I wouldn't do this for two reasons.

1. The function of a cowl induction is just that... to force air into (induct) the engine compartment... usually the intake to actually be functional. There is a high pressure area that forms at the cowl (where the hood meets the windshield) when the car is moving. This creates a "ram air" effect, and is actually more effective than the standard SS hood with the small scoop placed in the middle of the hood. This cut would funtion as a heat extractor while the car is standing still, but once the car starts moving it will be forcing air into the engine compartment... which has its benefits as well.

2. The biggest reason not to do this is that you will be comprimising the structural integrity of the hood. That cut would leave only one sheet of flimsy fiberglass spanning about 14 inches, which will flex up and down once you start driving. That is why all good aftermarket glass hoods have at least an 1/8" lip on all edges. Also, body lines and ridges act as structural integrity as well as cosmetic touches, which is why most traditional cowls have a ridge down the center (I know, the Sunoco doesn't, but it is reinforced from the bottom).

Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't do it for the purpose of extracting heat.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think our windshield is laid back so far that cowl
induction is going to be ineffective as a pressure
booster. Not like a brick-wall Chevelle or something.

If you are looking to extract heat, maybe something
like a louver set, in places where you do not have
critical structure.

Quick Reply: cut SS hood for cowl induction?