General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

losing power

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default losing power

Hey guys got a question i have a 2002 pontiac trans am ws6 and it keeps dying on me. I replaced the aternator the belt and the battery and it still will not hold the power do you guys know what this problem might be.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Launching!

may be a fuel issue....if it was alt or battery going dead, it wouldn't fire up at all
Old 06-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Teching In

maybe i worded it wrong the fuel is fine my battery gauge is still draining even though i have replaced alternator alternator belt and battery all is brand new and its still draining the battery do you guys think that it is the battery cable from the alternator to the battery. Can that corroid from inside .
Old 06-11-2009, 12:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Try an ammeter in line to the battery. Pull fuses one at a time to find the drain if there is one.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Before checking voltage make sure the red wire that's supposed to charge your battery is connected to the alternator, that sucker tends to slip out, thank me later.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:01 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Check the ground on your block, it's right above the starter.

~ Craig
Old 06-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have to keep jump starting the car to get it going?

Or sometimes is it fine when you come out to start it up and other times its dead?

As mentioned, it could be the little tiny bastard RED wire that plugs into the top of the alternator. Excitor wire. They break very easily and get worn over time.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Default losing power

when the battery charges itself the car starts again but the alternator is not keeping the battery charged. My mechanic told me that there is only one wire going to my alternator the other space thats suppose to be a wire is capped of. Is that suppose to be like that. Ive had the car for three years now and ive never had a problem until i jumped my truck a couple of times because it died on me.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As mentioned above, did you check your battery cables? If there is alot of corrosion built up inside them, then your battery will not charge-there will be too much resistance. Grab a multi-meter an do a resistance check on your positive battery cable.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

You should have 2 wires going to your alternator.

One is the thick red output wire that comes off of the back of the alternator, the other is a thin (forget the color) wire that runs to the connector on the top.

The top wire is not easily seen or reached when the alternator is installed in its bracket, becuase of this it seems like many people end up pulling the wire out of its connector when removing the alternator.

As LS6427 mentioned above this excitor wire (that comes from the PCM) is reponsible for initialy flashing (or turning "on) the alternator. If not connected it would result in intermitent charging.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Teching In

ok you mentioned two wires that go to my alternator the mechanic says that its only one wire so thats probably whats it is because the only wire i see is the red wire that goes to the back of the alternator and your saying that the 2002 ls1 trans am alternator has a thin wire that goes on the top of it . I dont see it
Old 07-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Default losing power

ok guys thanks found the problem there is a lil red wire on the top of the alternator wich i figure is what you guys where talking about called the existor wire its disconnected from the alternator.