General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

WS6 headlight issue (not gears)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WS6 headlight issue (not gears)

So they are going up and down sporadically. One time they both go up, sometimes 1 goes up, then sometimes the other, sometimes both don't. Is this maybe a headlight switch issue? This is really turning off of owning this car.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JC70SS
So they are going up and down sporadically. One time they both go up, sometimes 1 goes up, then sometimes the other, sometimes both don't. Is this maybe a headlight switch issue? This is really turning off of owning this car.
lol, if this minor attribute of the car is a turn off, I should have sold my Trans Ams 1,000 times over. lol

First, if they go up together, at any point, the motors work... For now.

Second, the wiring harnesses for the headlights are notorious for getting some corrosion (from rain). Unplug the clips and take a gander... If they are clean, move on.

Third, what happens when you press your alarm/lock button on the key fob... Do they go up for no reason?

Fourth, there could be a chance of the motors has just gone bad. Is there one that reliably goes up and down without a problem? Or is it both?

If it's one, maybe the motor simply **** the bed... Not a gear issue, but just for some other reason? I have installed defective headlight motors right out of the box... Ebay, I know.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

#1. They both were going up and down together.
#2. Unplugged them and sanded the ends and put dielectric grease on
#3. Lights don't go up and down with key fob. Gears were replaced a month ago with brass gears.
#4. Both were working today now neither one will go up!!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

anyone else??
Old 06-15-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JC70SS
anyone else??
This is a long shot, but easy to check. Open the headlights and look for a small metal arm (horizontal) that should have a small white plastic tab/cover on the end of it. It's there to stop one of the headlight brackets. It tells the motor when to stop and if it gets worn down or falls off, the motor gets confused.

I had the problem on my car and discovered that my driver side tab had a small groove worn in it. I pulled it off, turned it around, and slipped it back on. Works good now. If the tab is completely gone, which sometimes happens, simply get a small length of fuel/heater hose.

Good luck.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

I just lost one of my yellow tabs on my passenger headlight, thanks for the fix nytmare1!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry dude, its the gear(s).