General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1998 TA cruise control.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 TA cruise control.

Its doesnt work and has never worked since Ive had the car. Everything else works fine.

Suggestions on trouble shooting and possible causes?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im curious to, my cruise control never worked since I had the car either ahah
Old 04-13-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is intermittent.

It will work fine, then I'll hit a bump and it will shut off. Then I'll reset it and it will work for a few more minutes and then shut off. Then it will just stop working completely until I drive the car the next time.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ccxxxxxxx
Its doesnt work and has never worked since Ive had the car. Everything else works fine.

Suggestions on trouble shooting and possible causes?
check all fuses and check the wiring leading to the unit itself... id also check with a voltameter to see if its getting power. otherwise its fubar
Old 04-13-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

**** i thought this was about traction control, for the cruise there is a little tab doo hicky thing that sits on ur clutch, i messed up mine when i changed out my mc. look under there and inspect everything and make sure it looks right.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

A4 ftl!!
Old 04-14-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the switch on the brake pedal.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Formula413
Check the switch on the brake pedal.
I believe the cruise control is linked to the brakes and if the switch was bad the brake lights would be on all the time.

I would also look into the multi-function switch on the column. My wipers quit shortly after I got my car and the dealer replaced the switch. The service manager said it was a good thing I had it done when I did because the cruise would have been next as the whole switch was getting worn out.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

This post reminds me, I need to update another thread I posted in on the same topic.

Anyways, my car is an M6, and it never worked since I had it. I bought a new brake switch with the thought that it was bad. I pulled my dash apart, and there were two switches for the brake switch. I pull the lower on off, and check it. It controls the brake lights, and it works fine. Two wires, on/off, that's it. So I returned the switch I just bought. There was also another switch right about that. Two wires as well, so I pull it off, use the ohmmeter, and it's good as well. So scratch that idea. Then I'm poking around, wondering what all this additional crap some previous owner installed, then I happen to see the clutch pedal area. There are two switches as well. There is the neutral safety switch, mounted on the firewall, that allows the car to crank once the clutch is depressed. That I know works. Then there is another switch at the top of the pedal travel; a switch that works once the clutch is moved 1/4 of an inch. I see that this switch is backed out almost entirely! I screw it back in, take it for a ride. I HAVE CRUISE CONTROL!!!!!

All that freeway driving without cruise control all from a damn zero cost fix. At least the drive to LA Invasion will be nicer!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by campbellshotrods
This post reminds me, I need to update another thread I posted in on the same topic.

Anyways, my car is an M6, and it never worked since I had it. I bought a new brake switch with the thought that it was bad. I pulled my dash apart, and there were two switches for the brake switch. I pull the lower on off, and check it. It controls the brake lights, and it works fine. Two wires, on/off, that's it. So I returned the switch I just bought. There was also another switch right about that. Two wires as well, so I pull it off, use the ohmmeter, and it's good as well. So scratch that idea. Then I'm poking around, wondering what all this additional crap some previous owner installed, then I happen to see the clutch pedal area. There are two switches as well. There is the neutral safety switch, mounted on the firewall, that allows the car to crank once the clutch is depressed. That I know works. Then there is another switch at the top of the pedal travel; a switch that works once the clutch is moved 1/4 of an inch. I see that this switch is backed out almost entirely! I screw it back in, take it for a ride. I HAVE CRUISE CONTROL!!!!!

All that freeway driving without cruise control all from a damn zero cost fix. At least the drive to LA Invasion will be nicer!!!
Glad to hear you found a solution. Sounds like it could be a common issue.

I'll have to check that switch on mine and see if its not fully seated.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Teching In

That switch works just like the brakes. When you hit the clutch it will cancel the cruise. The car just thought you had your foot on the clutch the whole time. Glad you got it fixed for free. I never thought of the fact that your car is a manual. Sorry about that.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by campbellshotrods
There are two switches as well. There is the neutral safety switch, mounted on the firewall, that allows the car to crank once the clutch is depressed. That I know works. Then there is another switch at the top of the pedal travel; a switch that works once the clutch is moved 1/4 of an inch. I see that this switch is backed out almost entirely! I screw it back in, take it for a ride. I HAVE CRUISE CONTROL!!!!!

Hey bro, I just replaced my MC a week ago, and I have the same problem. Is the switch you are refering too the large white one that is essentially a large screw type thing? I know I bumped that, but didnt really know what I did. Any ideas?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 AM
T.A.WS6

check the connections.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im sure something isnt connecting or contacting properly, so something needs adjusted, just wanted to get a clearer picture of what I should be adjusting. Guess I just need to look at it more in depth.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Launching!

I've never tried Cruise Control. haha
Old 06-19-2009, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

I just had my MC replaced and now my cruise control doesn't work, thanks for the advice, I will see if it works!
Old 06-19-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue01T/A
I believe the cruise control is linked to the brakes and if the switch was bad the brake lights would be on all the time.
I've seen bad switches that did not have the lights on all the time.