General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Octane questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Octane questions...

Ok, so this girl I know just told me that she and her mom have been running 89 in their trans am since they've owned it...

So first question is, how bad is that for it if they never get on it at all?

And second is, are they actually saving any money by doing that? I know they're probably getting a little less gas mileage because of it, but I feel guilty telling her she needs to spend more on gas... lol. So would the better gas mileage make up for it?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 01:36 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It'll be fine for driving around casual in weather thats relatively cool most of the time. Of course they'll save money over the long run. The gas mileage isn't going to be any different.

Only thing that happens by running lower octane gas is the possibility of detonation during acceleration. If its not detonating, its fine.

I know someone who put a tank full of 89 in his 11.5:1 compression 422ci by accident, he drove it casual till it was all out and it never detonated or knocked once. If it was hot as ***** in the summer, he may have had some trouble if he got on it hard.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive ran 89 once because i absolutely had to. i felt noticable power loss. needless to say thats the only time i ran out of gas
Old 06-14-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I look at it is, the PCM has been programmed with the ability to run on 87-89 octane if necessary. So unless you simply can't get 91 or higher, stick with the right fuel. These engines have knock sensors and can retard timing to prevent knock, so it won't hurt itself. But if you just want to save money get a car made to run on 87 octane rather than forcing a high compression engine to make do without premium fuel.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

I have been running 89 most of the time since last summers crazy prices. I actually get better mpg with 89 vs 91 and since gas is going way up again I'll stick with 89.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rich Z
I have been running 89 most of the time since last summers crazy prices. I actually get better mpg with 89 vs 91 and since gas is going way up again I'll stick with 89.
As long as you don't hear/feel it detonating, it'll be fine forever. My stupid *** cousin was putting 89 octane in his 98' Stang Cobra the first two years he owned it because he truly thought it was the right one to use Until I told him to start using 93.

An engine should however, always use the gas it was designed for imo.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427
As long as you don't hear/feel it detonating, it'll be fine forever. My stupid *** cousin was putting 89 octane in his 98' Stang Cobra the first two years he owned it because he truly thought it was the right one to use Until I told him to start using 93.

An engine should however, always use the gas it was designed for imo.

x2 if their that worried about it then get a car that gets cheap gas mileage lol