Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone made their own conversion wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone made their own conversion wiring harness?

I'm slowly piecing together the parts to swap a 5.3 into my 04 Colorado. Getting the engine to run stand alone is pretty simple. But I want to be able to get it to work with the factory gauges. There is a conversion harness out there that will do it, but it's $900+ and it uses an LS2 PCM. I would like to use the LS1 PCM is possible so I don't have to pull the crank out and change the reluctor wheel, thus causing another expense.

I have access to All-Data at the shop, so printing out wiring schematics shouldn't be to hard.

Does anyone have and ideas/tips on where I should start with this. I am not paying that much money for a wiring harness if I don't have to.

Am I making any sense?
Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Might look at the new colorado's on alldata and compare to the 04, as they now have the 5.3l as an option on the 09's.

But you should be able to get the gauges to work by seeing were they get their inputs ie off the CANN bus or BCM etc. You could retain the stock PCM to run certain things and have the engine be standalone, then install the stock colorado I4/I5 senders etc...

Shouldn't be to hard.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snketr
it uses an LS2 PCM. I would like to use the LS1 PCM is possible so I don't have to pull the crank out and change the reluctor wheel, thus causing another expense.
The early LS2's were 24x reluctors... so no need to change cranks.
Also, I am friends with the guys who make those harnesses for the colorado swaps, I remember when they were dealing with communications problems using the LS1 computer, that is why the LS2 computer is used. The LS1 computer has some very strange glitches when used with the Colorado dash.