Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help with clutch/transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with clutch/transmission problems

Hey guys, just a few questions about my M6.

First of all, and the most annoying of all the problems, is when I try to use reverse. It goes in gear fine, but to use it, I have to hold the shifter with a lot of muscle or else it'll grind and pop out. I don't know much about transmissions so all help is greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm pretty sure the next problem has to do with the synchros. Sometimes it doesn't like to go into 3rd. That usually happens when at WOT. It also takes some force to go into 1st every once in awhile.

It seems like the clutch catches fine and all, but it shutters as well. When it's cold it makes a weird noise as it disengages. Could this be the throwout bearing or something?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey man, my tranny did the same exact thing... do yourself the favor now and call Joey at www.tickperformance.com that guy hooked me up right..cost me 1300 out the door for a stage 2 build..and that includes shippin both ways..since then my transmission has been FLAWLESS!!!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Teching In

That sounds like a good deal, but I was more than likely going to be doing the work. I just needed some insight on what I was dealing with so I'd know what to buy and what to do. If I can come up with that kind of money, I might do that. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First step is to take the shifter off and see what's going on. It's only partially going into gear - may just be that the bushing is worn. Next bleed the clutch, finally if it shudders, makes noise on release, and is sometimes difficult to go into gear the clutch and t/o bearing are going to need to be replaced soon.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Teching In

DaddySS- What if it sometimes grinds going into 3rd gear? I'm about to order a clutch kit, but I want to know if I'm going to need to do anything else to the transmission other than the clutch. I don't want the grinding or something still to be happening after I replace everything, short of rebuilding the whole transmission. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28Boy
DaddySS- What if it sometimes grinds going into 3rd gear? I'm about to order a clutch kit, but I want to know if I'm going to need to do anything else to the transmission other than the clutch. I don't want the grinding or something still to be happening after I replace everything, short of rebuilding the whole transmission. Thanks.

3rd gear....could be synchro's, could be bent fork (even though it would proably do it in 4th as well, or could even be hydraulics (not the tranny, but not likely, but is a possibility)
Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Teching In

So should I just replace the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, slave cylinder and throwout bearing and call it a day? Also, if I were to get any Spec clutch kit, would I be able to just have my stock flywheel resurfaced and use it, or would it not work with a Spec clutch disk?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
FormerVendor

So should I just replace the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, slave cylinder and throwout bearing and call it a day? Also, if I were to get any Spec clutch kit, would I be able to just have my stock flywheel resurfaced and use it, or would it not work with a Spec clutch disk?

Well, how many miles are on teh clutch setup? Cause if you are only experiencing it in 1 or 2 gears, it is normally NOT the clutch. The clutch will affect EVERY gear, not just 1.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Teching In

I have no idea how many miles are on this setup. I bought the car from a member on this board about 2 months ago. But occasionally I have had problems getting it to go into all gears. It just only grinds going into 3rd every once in awhile.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had my tranny rebuilt, and I put in a monster stage III/chromoly flywheel. Stock 98 Master Cylinder. I had to muscle it to get it into first/reverse, and 5th gear would catch when it was cold. I finally determined the problem to be the stock master. I ordered a tick adjustable master and it has cured all of my tranny problems. First/reverse goes in as easy as from left to right in neutral. My stock master just wasnt releasing the clutch enough I guess. Tick is beast. Throw an extra $300 in the budget!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I think I'm going to order that as well as a clutch kit and maybe the Tick level 2 rebuild kit. After all that, I'm sure all my problems will be fixed. I just want to know if anyone thinks I need a rebuild if reverse and 3rd are really my only problems? Or should I just get it taken apart and find out what I need to save some money? Because I don't have all this money just laying around for me to do this. I need to start saving now and want to know what you guys would get. Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:09 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah, I think I'm going to order that as well as a clutch kit and maybe the Tick level 2 rebuild kit. After all that, I'm sure all my problems will be fixed. I just want to know if anyone thinks I need a rebuild if reverse and 3rd are really my only problems? Or should I just get it taken apart and find out what I need to save some money? Because I don't have all this money just laying around for me to do this. I need to start saving now and want to know what you guys would get. Thanks again.

Well, it COULD be the hydraulics causing it, and would be teh cheapest option at this point. Start with MC (since you don't have to pull tranny to replace it) bleed it real good and see if problem is still there. If so, move onto the next....teh slave. Now, since you have to pull tranny to replace slave, you can check out teh clutch and TOB to see what kind of condition they are in. If they look good, replace the slave, and try it again.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Ok, thanks. That sounds like a good starting point. I appreciate all of your help Gen414.