Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good plan, (cam, stock heads, headers 99+ LS1 A4)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good plan, (cam, stock heads, headers 99+ LS1 A4)

I have a 99 Trans Am with the following mods:

All free mods from LS1tech/ls1.com
ASP Underdrive Pulley
SLP Air Lid w/K & N
SLP Smooth Bellows
SLP 85mm MAF
Hooker Cat-back
3.73 gears
TCI Super Streetfighter 3500 stall
B & M Tranny Cooler
BMR Lower Control Arms w/relocation brackets.
LS1 Edit & Dyno tuned by Delk Performance.

Mods I am planning on doing. I'm wanting to get as close as I can get to 400 wheel hp.

Pacesetter LT Headers w/y-pipe
LS6 Intake
TR227 Cam or MTI X1
Replace springs, rockers, etc.
Rear Girdle

With this setup, what will I possibly be looking at to the wheels, best guess? And is this cam good enough or will I need bigger, smaller??

It's a daily driven car, so not wanting it to stall out on me, etc. But if it runs really mean, that's fine in my book.

This will be probably only mods for this next year, '04.

I'm probably going to eventually put a stage II or III heads with whatever big cam I throw in there now, and depending on what kind of boost I can use, I was wanting a Vortech V-9 SQ G-trim running 5-6psi.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2003, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Raben
I have a 99 Trans Am with the following mods:

All free mods from LS1tech/ls1.com
ASP Underdrive Pulley
SLP Air Lid w/K & N
SLP Smooth Bellows
SLP 85mm MAF
Hooker Cat-back
3.73 gears
TCI Super Streetfighter 3500 stall
B & M Tranny Cooler
BMR Lower Control Arms w/relocation brackets.
LS1 Edit & Dyno tuned by Delk Performance.

Mods I am planning on doing. I'm wanting to get as close as I can get to 400 wheel hp.

Pacesetter LT Headers w/y-pipe
LS6 Intake
TR227 Cam or MTI X1
Replace springs, rockers, etc.
Rear Girdle

With this setup, what will I possibly be looking at to the wheels, best guess? And is this cam good enough or will I need bigger, smaller??

It's a daily driven car, so not wanting it to stall out on me, etc. But if it runs really mean, that's fine in my book.

This will be probably only mods for this next year, '04.

I'm probably going to eventually put a stage II or III heads with whatever big cam I throw in there now, and depending on what kind of boost I can use, I was wanting a Vortech V-9 SQ G-trim running 5-6psi.

Thanks
sounds like a plan...everything looks good...if you are gonna put a blower on it later the 224/227 you are talking about would be a good choice and will also make very good power on motor...stick to the 114 lsa

your car wont have and driveability problems either...

just get ready for the eventual rearend/tranny problems...

Last edited by mikemodano9c; 11-11-2003 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Yea I was thinking about the rear. Guess not being practical I'll get the go fast goodies first and only rear stuff is the girdle to handle for alittle while.

I'm guessing it should hold up long enough for me to save up for a replacement.

I want to get the tranny rebuilt and ofcourse go to a 12 bolt rear end. Just going to be awhile before I go that route.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Raben
Yea I was thinking about the rear. Guess not being practical I'll get the go fast goodies first and only rear stuff is the girdle to handle for alittle while.

I'm guessing it should hold up long enough for me to save up for a replacement.

I want to get the tranny rebuilt and ofcourse go to a 12 bolt rear end. Just going to be awhile before I go that route.
yah thats where im at now...my tranny is hurting i have to tear it out and get it rebuilt/put a stall in finally...
Old 11-11-2003, 02:01 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pick one or the other; n/a cam or blower cam. i'd look at the TR230 over the TR227 if your considering things like the MTI x1 cam. you'll get more power out of the t230. you'll need a good tune though for both considering the tr230 is a 111lsa and the x1 is on a 112lsa. the x1 and 230 are very similar except the x1 has a higher lift and a slightly bigger exhaust duration.

for the blower you'll want a traditional split cam, more exhuast duration, and you'll want a higher lsa 116+ so you dont bleed off the boost. check with the FI guys in there forum for more specifics on blower cams since its not my avenue.

with your mods and the cams you suggested i'd say you'll be around 370 with tune. if the car is strictly your daily i'd consider the tr224 on the 114, makes great power in the midrange and when you get heads you should be over the 400rwhp mark.

heres a TR cam comparison jason posted, all the mods are the same exept for the cam swap. pm him if you want specifics or anything. car is an m6.

http://members.***.net/kcr19/TRcam_comparison.jpg
Old 11-11-2003, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything sounds good , but If I was you I would skip on the 85maf Stock piece is pretty good for power. IMO