Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Properly cooling down between runs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Properly cooling down between runs?

What is a good rule of thumb to keep in mind to properly cool down cars between 1/4 mile passes. Say stockish car to fairly agressive engine builds/power adders.

I had what seemed like overheat failures the last two times i went to the track (blown trans and engine).

I usually wait 25-45 mins between runs. What should I do to keep this kind of stuff from happening? how long does it take to properly cool down a car after a drag run?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consistency is key for running the number. If you are causing damage it's more than a cooling issue.
I've seen stockish LS1 cars hotlapping 15+ runs a day. Obviously proper engine & trans cooling is critical.
You shouldn't be making a pass if the engine is still 240. If you are making mods that can't keep up with the therm,
then you need to upgrade your cooling. I know it's been a million years, but my stockish car would be cooler after the pass,
then before. Not a lot of air flow with cars lined up in staging.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I keep my elec water pump running a couple min after I get back to the pits, and if the lines are long in the staging lanes I usually push the car when they move a little bit rather then startnig it and driving it.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once I arrive at the track I let my car sit 30-45min to cool off. Then I shut the car off once in staging lanes, unless it's an empty line (not usual). After I make a pass I wait another 30-45min before running again. I dont want my trans, oil, or water temps to get really high.