Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-Body using Camaro Oil Pan Notched?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G-Body using Camaro Oil Pan Notched?

I have searched this forum and the net trying to find the best dimension for notching the ls1 (Camaro/TransAm) oil pan to install a 5.3 into a Monte Carlo. I know some guys have notched the cross member to make room, but I would rather notch the oil pan than cut out the cross member. I have obtained some 2" aluminum angle 6061 that is 1/4" thick. I have yet to disassemble the truck oil pan from the 5.3. (My motor is on an engine crate pallet, my buddy has YET to return my engine stand!) I do have the complete oil pan, windage tray, and pickup tube from a Camaro. Anyway, I realize that the pickup tube is located towards the front of the oil pan sump area. I think most of the notches are roughly 1" back and 2" deep. In other words, cutting up vertically on the pan 2" and cutting horizontally back 1". I have a few pics that I found on the net. My main concern is making sure not to notch back too far and get into interference with the pickup tube assembly. If anyone has done this, could you please verify. I am just trying to get some of the fab work done while waiting on my engine stand. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

you should keep the truck pan that came with the 5.3 and cut it instead of buying a camaro pan and cutting it too !!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

I heard of using a caddy cts-v oil pan or equivalent.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mach.80
I heard of using a caddy cts-v oil pan or equivalent.
I am trying to find out if this indeed does work.. Every indication from John B is that it will..

Someone just needs to pull the trigger and report back..

This is based upon the dimensions of his fabbed F-body Pan used in conjunction with his custom Motor mounts. However, I have been told that the BRP motor mounts will sit back as far as John Bs. BRP uses the LH8, but its a bit too tall for my liking as it sits below the engine crossmember.

The last page of this thread asks if this has been tried yet, by me ( THE CTS-V pan)

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-thread-7.html
Old 06-23-2009, 07:10 PM
10 Second Club

Would also like to know. Have a f-body pan, and would rather the pan didn't hang below the crossmember either.

Chris
Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just knotched my cross member and boxed it back in with 1/4" flat bar. It's as strong, if not stronger, than before. F-body pan fits perfect.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

^^ That looks perfect! That's my new plan! If you have any more pics, or measurements that'd help it'd be awesome. Don't want to hijack, so you can pm if wanted. Thanks!!

Chris
Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am running the stock f-body pan and crossmember, no notching there. The motor sits farther back in my car than most, I had to notch the heater box, remove the rearmost coil mounting boss on the pass valvecover and trim off the last coil mount on the pass side ( the one that used to go to the boss on the valve cover that I trimmed off)
Old 06-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Teching In

I have a caddy cts-v oil pan in my 86 el camino ....it´s great, It fit's like a glove.
The pan is 2.5cm "one inch" back from the cross member and does not clear the cross member i.e. the pan is safe.
I have made my own motor mounts.
The car is dropped with spindles and springs up front and springs out back.

Last edited by evilelcamino; 06-24-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Teching In

G-Body,

Did you install yours with the transmission attached, or did you install the tranny from under the car? Also, did your car have the original V-8 mounts located on the crossmember? Finally, what adapter plates or engine mounts did you use on the engine block? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:39 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I installed mine with the transmission attached. I am using 98-02 f-body engine side mounts with custom frame mounts. The frame mount and engine mounts were bolted together and to the frame. You have to take the starter and exhaust manifolds off slide the engine and trans in and then bolt the engine to the mounts.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock f-body pan here with stock crossmember. 1" setback mounts from transdapt. You'll have room to bolt the trans up afterward too. I did have to clearance the firewall pinchweld in one spot though.

Quick Reply: G-Body using Camaro Oil Pan Notched?