Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres some updated pics of my build
87 buick GN, LQ4 with a 76mm turbo. i made my own mounts using old a-body clamshells bolted to the frame, and made the engine plates out of flat iron. no fitment issues anywhere, using a cut truck pan as well. Also using a TRZ manual rack and pinion and a factory truck manifold on the drivers side. Pass side and crossover are Schedule 10 stainless. A list of mods in my sig, ask if you have any Qs, and check the 87 buick folder in the upper left of my photobucket account for more detailed pics
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc192/Grrh77/
Gary
Old 05-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grr
Heres some updated pics of my build
87 buick GN, LQ4 with a 76mm turbo. i made my own mounts using old a-body clamshells bolted to the frame, and made the engine plates out of flat iron. no fitment issues anywhere, using a cut truck pan as well. Also using a TRZ manual rack and pinion and a factory truck manifold on the drivers side. Pass side and crossover are Schedule 10 stainless. A list of mods in my sig, ask if you have any Qs, and check the 87 buick folder in the upper left of my photobucket account for more detailed pics
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc192/Grrh77/
Gary
Do you have a few video's on youtube of your car? A running with no cold side hooked up, and a launch/flyby video?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea thats him.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by topher455
Yea thats him.
Right on.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Does the aftermarket offer an engine crossmember? I know all the Mustang guys get the chromoly engine crossmemeber for more room and less weight that look totally awesome. I have yet to see one for G-bodies, but maybe someone knows of one. Would probably solve oil pan clearance issues.

Ya'll do great work!

TONS of great information in this thread. Will be using it for my future Generation III small block Chevrolet installation. Keep it up! :-)
Old 05-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Teching In

The cross member I am referring to is what I believe is called a "k-member".

Looks like a very nice kit.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ITSANSS
The cross member I am referring to is what I believe is called a "k-member".

Looks like a very nice kit.

G bodies don't have K members. They ride on a full frame and don't have sub frame assemblies like the camaro.

Re'
Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks for clearing that up. I figured since I could not find one on the Internet, they did not exist. :-) I know the difference between full-frame cars like ours and others, but didn't know if they offered a smaller version of the under the engine cross-member. Oh well, full-frame cars are still better than sub-frame ones any day, in my opinion. :-D
Old 07-16-2008, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Im starting the process of parts gathering for my swap into my 85 Cutlass. Just wondering what you guys are doing for fuel systems.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Default Ideas for my G-body?

I have an 81 cutlass as the name suggests. Basically i'm having trouble narrowing down what i want to do for powertrain. i've been thinking mostly about one of two ideas. Idea one--GMPP Ram Jet 502. Idea two--LS1 w/ procharger. Anyone have any ideas as to wich would be the most bang for the buck? Easier install? Better performance? I know saying that I want an LS1 w/a procharger is a little vague. I'd like to run a moderate amount of boost 7-10#'s. Which I think would give me about 550hp @crank. Which is about the amount of power I'm looking for. I think the LS-1 would need a rebuild to be ready for a decent amount of boost. Forged pistons, upgraded rods, lower compression, and probably a cam set up for boost.

Anyways, these two builds would be completely different. So I'm looking for a little direction. Help please.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

bump. any more? im seriously looking into a 5.3 ant 76mm turbo for my 1985 Monte SS
Old 06-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by John B
I believe there is finally an easy solution to the G-Body oil pan which will put me out of the oil pan mod business but that's okay! It wasn't really a money maker for me anyway....I primarily provided the service to help out other G-body swappers.

I haven't had the opportunity to personally verify this so up until now I have been hesitant to recommend this but after review of the photo's below (assuming the measurements are correct and I have no reason to believe that they're not) it appears that the CTS-V LS2 oil pan should be a direct fit WITHOUT modification for the G-body!!! When I modify my pans, I take out about 1" and this is actually tapered so that it is slightly less in the middle to match the contour of the engine crossmember. If you carefully compare the F-body pan (which I use for the modification) to the CTS-V pan you'll see that it not only is 1" shorter in length at the deep end but it also tapers in the correct direction on the sides in addition to this!

The other beauty of the CTS-V pan is that it is a shallow pan (only 1/2" lower than the F-body pan!) so that you don't have to worry about having something hit your oil pan because it hangs below the protection of the engine crossmember (remember...these are CAST aluminum oil pans which will crack or break on severe impact rather than dent!!!).

I'd hate to see someone try this and then tell me that it doesn't work, but by all indications, it sure looks like a slam dunk to me not to mention price-wise its probably about the same as a modded pan (once you add the price of a pick-up tube, windage tray and oil pan baffle).

Hope this helps!

Specific's of CTS-V pan:
Capacity: 5.5 qts
Oil pan: 12577901
Oil pump pickup: 12577906
Windage tray: 12558268 (same as Truck "C/K)
Dipstick tube: ?
Dipstick: ?
O-ring for Oil pump pickup:?
Oil pan baffle: 12577904

Has anyone actually tried this pan? BRP recommends the LH8 which looks to me to be the hummer pan from the Oil pan stickies.. This doesnt look to be a good alternative ( the LH8 ) as it would possibly expose the pan below the engine saddle.
( dont know for sure but the difference in the height is 2 inches taller on the LH8)
Also...The demensions shown for the Hummer pan show a 8.5 in width at the deep end vs. 10.5 on the CTS-V.. This is a another critical spot for clearing the engine saddle... But i dont know if you have that much to play with..

Please respond, any one thats tried the CTS-V pan or that has a better measurements showing the clearance..

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-22-2009, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

BRP LH8 Pan Clearance Pictures

Name:  002-26.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  001-30.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  51.5 KB

Iceman G-Body Chromemoly Crossmember for any trans

Name:  019-13.jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  98.4 KB

BoostedLq9SS

Last edited by BoostedLQ9SS; 06-22-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Launching!

Thanks boosted.. that answers my question if its lower than the engine cradle.

Do you have a measurement on how much lower it is?

Also, How much space do you have between the cradle and the pan?

Thanks.

Matt
Old 06-23-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The ground clearance is also effected by how high the motor gets mounted as well. So just taking into consideration the pan isnt the full story, the mounts the guy used is also important.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cutlass_455
The ground clearance is also effected by how high the motor gets mounted as well. So just taking into consideration the pan isnt the full story, the mounts the guy used is also important.

Agreed, It is best to put it into context.

I was basing my comments on John Bs ground work and images on his site since I have John Bs mounts..

Matt
Old 06-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2Aspire
Has anyone actually tried this pan? BRP recommends the LH8 which looks to me to be the hummer pan from the Oil pan stickies.. This doesnt look to be a good alternative ( the LH8 ) as it would possibly expose the pan below the engine saddle.
( dont know for sure but the difference in the height is 2 inches taller on the LH8)
Also...The demensions shown for the Hummer pan show a 8.5 in width at the deep end vs. 10.5 on the CTS-V.. This is a another critical spot for clearing the engine saddle... But i dont know if you have that much to play with..

Please respond, any one thats tried the CTS-V pan or that has a better measurements showing the clearance..

Thanks,

Matt
After emailing John I got a cts-v pan and in fits like a glove and is protected by the engine saddle
Old 06-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

everything goes better with an lsx
Old 06-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Teching In

I must have used to search button a million times and read G-bodys thread 5 times from page 1.
I know it is the small things and the end that really makes things happen and can make plans change, now after reading so much I cant remember everything so I am going to have to ask. but thirst you need some info .
I have built my own motor mounts and I am using a corvette front assembly and intake manifold.
Now I was wondering if any of you have had problems your Oil sticks being to long?
Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

The BRP Hedders and LSX swap kits will work with ether the LH8 or the CTS-V GM oil pans. The LH8 however allows you to use the OEM front accessories including the A/C compressor on car and corvette accessories without notching or top mounting the A/C. If running the CTS-V the motor has to sit further back in the frame and required a www.KwikPerf.com Top mount A/C or required a notch for the OEM low mount A/C.

Also at BRP we are working with Hedman to work on some aftermarket pan options as well.

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread