Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I planned to go with digital gauges most likely, either several single gauges or this full panel from Nordskog.
http://www.nordskogperformance.net/p...ail/dp9255.htm

I plan on having the lsx harness modified by someone else as I dread working with electrical wires, i dont have the patience. I planned on using HP tuners, but how is EFI live, never heard anything about it. Did you mount that fuse panel underdash or underhood? Am I going to need to "tap" into the harness under the dash for anything?

So I just looked up EFI live, and basically it allows you to delete the maf and tune the vehicle using speed density mode? How does this benifit over a maf read system? As you can tell I dont know much about electronics and tuning just yet.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

sorry to add to the newb questions in here. I have an 81 olds i want to swap an LS-2 into. i've read JohnB's website a couple of times, love it. i have a couple questions though.

1. what are the options for getting the TV cable from a 2004R to interact with the electronic throttle on an LS-2? should the TB and computer be LS-1? other options?

2. with JohnB's mounts, is it possible to notch the crossmember to get the stock oil pan and compressor to fit? it seems like this would be an easier option??? (get some steel welded back in for strength)

i plan on starting the swap in a couple of months. i'd like to get all my parts put together ahead of time, and have a clear understanding of all the obstacles ahead.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

2. with JohnB's mounts, is it possible to notch the crossmember to get the stock oil pan and compressor to fit? it seems like this would be an easier option??? (get some steel welded back in for strength)
This is an easy solution if you don't mind welding your frame (and it's easy to do)!
Old 01-20-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just make sure you use 1/4" thick metal to box it back in and it will be just as strong as before.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Any ideas on the TV cable solution with the LS-2? Is it easier to configure it for mechanical throttle? Would an LS-1 throttle body and computer be the solution for this? Would the LS-2 computer still work? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions. I finally decided that i have to have EFI a couple months ago, and that of course led me to the best option...........LS-2,3,6etc.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:24 AM
TECH Junkie

For an LS2, best solution would be, DBW throttle body and controller, and 4l60e.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so i take it there is no good solution to mating a 2004R and an LS-2. Anyone have an idea if the 4L60e mounts the same as a 2004R? Is it the same length? Will i need to change my shift linkage? I think the final drive ratio is different too right? .76?

can anyone reccomend a salvage yard or dealer for used corvette drivelines? Also, if I came accross a LS-6 is this a better or worse option than the LS-2???
Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

If you are going to use a 200-4R, you have to have a cable driven throttle body or a tranny with a manual valve body. I can show you a site with the correct measurements for the cable attachment geometry. The only problem is, I am in Baton Rouge working, and the site is listed on my home pc.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

John B, do you have any info on mods you did for your swap of the LS7? did you keep the same LS1 computer?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:07 PM

John B, do you have any info on mods you did for your swap of the LS7?
I haven't taken the time to publish them. I had to:
- modify the engine crossmember with a hole for the front oil pan drain plug
- construct a mounting bracket for the dry sump tank
- fabricate dry sump oil lines
- convert to Corvette accessory drive
- convert to DBW by adding C6 gas pedal
- install new engine wiring harness and ECM
- install pressure regulator for fuel return due to single fuel rail inlet

did you keep the same LS1 computer?
No, the LS7 and the '06 & newer LS2's have a 58 tooth reluctor which requires the use of the E38 ECM.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Ok, i'm starting to understand why the ecm's cant be interchanged. Sorry for the newb questions, but i'm learning alot. hopefully my project will begin in june. anyone else here in the DE area?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

my brothers 82 malibu wagon 6.0 just converted to fuel injection, we did all the wiring, it started off as a stock truck harness and pcm, tuned by me

Name:  MALIBU012-1.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  14.8 KB
Old 01-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Man, I'm glad to see this thread. Let me introduce myself. My name is Phillip, I run a website called maliburacing.com. I started it YEARS ago when I started on my first Malibu project in the early 90's.

I'm about to undertake a 5.3 swap into a '79 Malibu for my 15 year old son. I want to use the 5.3 because it is cheaper, and I'm not interested in high HP, since my 16 year old will be driving it. It will be faster than anything I had when I was 16!!

I know a few of you guys from my website, and it's good to see some familiar names. Anyways, I plan on having a lot of questions, since this is my first experience in retro-fitting an EFI application into an older car. I'm starting to document my conversion, but we are very early into the game.

My main concerns at this point is what kind of problems will the 5.3L truck engine present? Such as accessory interference, oil pan clearance, best option for motor mount plates/mods. Also, will the factory truck intake clear the stock hood?

I believe I've found a complete engine/tranny setup, but want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before dropping the cash.

Here's the link to the conversion thread I started on my site:
http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63840

I have a LSx swap forum, so you guys that aren't familiar with the site should check it out so we can all help each other. The site is for all G-bodies, not just Malibu's. Thanks, and look forward to talking with some of you guys.

Last edited by MalibuRacing; 01-24-2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: correct link address
Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wealth of information

Much of the ground breaking has been done by John Bzdel.

If you google his name he will be at the top. Go to his site and he chronicles many of the challenges you will face. http://home.earthlink.net/~bzdel/

He has a LS7 in his car now but still has many pages of detail regarding the LS1 that he started with.

He is the one that inspired me to get rid of my 3rd gen formula ( spent three years restoring that sucker..lol )and buy a Monte SS for the LS swap.

John makes a custom set of motor mounts and offers a mod for an f-body oil pan if you prefer not to notch your crossmember. I dont know the price but it would probably best to shoot him a PM as I am going to do now. ( Tax return check is on its way!!! )

Others have used his solution ( mounts or mounts with pan ) with great success.

Im assuming he doesnt advertise a price here as hes not a vendor on this site which would be a conflict of interest.

Cheers
Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

I'm surprised we didn't post anything about our little project earlier. We have a 1987 Monte Carlo SS, that we did an LS1/4L60E swap. The customer supplied the motor, we installed a budget heads/cam combo (LG G5X3/Patriot LS6 Stage II's), a Vintage Air Heat/AC package, Custom built Long Tube headers, the interior was redone in leather, Custom AutoMeter guage cluster, GN rear end, Disc brake conversion, completely rewired with a Painless wiring kit, BelTech drop spindles, and a full stereo. Everything's done except the stereo, just waiting for a few parts for that. Final nunbers were 430rwhp/400rwtq on a Mustang MD-1100SE Dyno.

Some of the pictures were taken a while ago while it was still a Work in Progress.
Attached Thumbnails The G-Body Swap Thread-cedric-monte-008.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-cedric-monte-001.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-cedric-monte-005.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-cedric-monte-003.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-cedric-monte-001rs.jpg  

Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2Aspire
Much of the ground breaking has been done by John Bzdel.

If you google his name he will be at the top. Go to his site and he chronicles many of the challenges you will face. http://home.earthlink.net/~bzdel/............
I've read his page, a lot of good info. But, I plan on using an automatic and I'd also like to use the 5.3L truck engine. So, that has quirks of it's own, like accessory bracketry, intake clearance, oilpan clearance, etc. Looks like DarthMonte is doing the exact same swap that I'm interested in. Guess I need to talk with him.

BTW, does anybody know how much the truck oil pan hangs below the crossmember. Is it unfeasible because of ground clearance issues?
Old 01-24-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

i think the truck pan is 2 inches below the crossmember. The f body pan is even with the crossmember.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 PM

I believe there is finally an easy solution to the G-Body oil pan which will put me out of the oil pan mod business but that's okay! It wasn't really a money maker for me anyway....I primarily provided the service to help out other G-body swappers.

I haven't had the opportunity to personally verify this so up until now I have been hesitant to recommend this but after review of the photo's below (assuming the measurements are correct and I have no reason to believe that they're not) it appears that the CTS-V LS2 oil pan should be a direct fit WITHOUT modification for the G-body!!! When I modify my pans, I take out about 1" and this is actually tapered so that it is slightly less in the middle to match the contour of the engine crossmember. If you carefully compare the F-body pan (which I use for the modification) to the CTS-V pan you'll see that it not only is 1" shorter in length at the deep end but it also tapers in the correct direction on the sides in addition to this!

The other beauty of the CTS-V pan is that it is a shallow pan (only 1/2" lower than the F-body pan!) so that you don't have to worry about having something hit your oil pan because it hangs below the protection of the engine crossmember (remember...these are CAST aluminum oil pans which will crack or break on severe impact rather than dent!!!).

I'd hate to see someone try this and then tell me that it doesn't work, but by all indications, it sure looks like a slam dunk to me not to mention price-wise its probably about the same as a modded pan (once you add the price of a pick-up tube, windage tray and oil pan baffle).

Hope this helps!

Specific's of CTS-V pan:
Capacity: 5.5 qts
Oil pan: 12577901
Oil pump pickup: 12577906
Windage tray: 12558268 (same as Truck "C/K)
Dipstick tube: ?
Dipstick: ?
O-ring for Oil pump pickup:?
Oil pan baffle: 12577904
Attached Thumbnails The G-Body Swap Thread-fbodypan.jpg   The G-Body Swap Thread-ctsvoilpan-1.jpg  
Old 01-25-2008, 02:27 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All of the accys will fit, along with the intake manifold. This is another good thread to check out https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=camino+truck
There are some pics of the truck pan hanging below the crossmember in one of these G-Body swap threads somewhere around here, I just can`t remember which thread.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Teching In

you was asking about mounting a 200-4r behind a ls2, is there anyway to mount a 1994
4l60e behind a 2000 ls1 if not would the 200-4r work and if it would could i build the 200-4r to handle 500-600 lb tq

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread