Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Maximizer II config

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with Maximizer II config

Getting ready to spray a Trailblazer SS. I guess the things that matter when it comes to this question are that its a forged stock cube LS2. Has a 3600 stall and is AWD.

Its running a Harris Brute Force kit with 10# bottle, heater, remote opener and will be jetted for 150 (after shake down of course).

I have never owned a vehicle running nitrous so this is new to me. Because of the vehicle (and 5000# weight) I do not want to spray out of the hole or through shifts even with RPM Stage V transmission.

Below are a few screen shots. The first is a HPT scan showing a 1/4 mile run. I made a few notes on it showing various RPM points as I plan on controlling the nitrous in RPM based mode.

The truck currently has a 1.8 60' time. Looking at charts I am at 4800 rpm and 33 mph at the 60.

At this point I am planning on bringing the nitrous in at 4400 RPM with a slight ramp so at 60' it should be full on.

Second gear comes in at 4700 with a slight ramp to make sure the shift is completed before its full on.

Same reasoning with 3rd gear

Here is the general screen.

I have an Innovate wideband and plan on hooking it up to the Max II so I can do a lean safety cut out. Just going to keep an eye on it now.

Here are a couple more pictures of install. All new to me. Input getting this controller setup would be appreciated. My thought process might be all wrong here. As I said "nitrous newbie"

Last edited by rrmccabe; 07-15-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 PM
TECH Veteran

looks fantastic! What RPM are you at just prior to letting off the brake when you launch?
The only thing I might suggest different is to try to get more juice in lower rpm during launch.

Where is that panel from btw?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Teching In

Normally I will run the RPMs up to about 2000 at the tree and start bringing it up to stall speed with the intent of hitting stall and letting off the brake at the green light.

I figure eventually I can add more juice out of the hole but want to make sure I am at a safe starting point.

I built the panel. Did the artwork and sent it out to a shop that does laser engraving to have it etched.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

great panel! I think your plan is sound IMO. Be sure to post your results. I have always wanted to spray an AWD Trailbazer SS with a progressive kit. Should work out nice!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Looks like a change of plans.

Talked to RPM today and they said dont let off. Spray it right through the shifts.

So my control is looking a lot simpler. Geez could have done this with a lot less money!!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Teching In

I have a couple more questions about the controller. I have tried Nitrous Express and they are non responsive. Last time I buy anything from them !

As I said above after talking to RPM (and installing 300m output shaft) I scrapped the idea about pulling nitrous from a dig and throught the shifts. Decided to just let it fly !

Anyway, I have it up and working with 150 jets. Logs looks good and it works perfect.

The questions are software related.

Currently I am pulling timing with a switch connected to relay that uses the IAT circuit. The Maximizer has the option to retard ignition but I am wondering what the advantage to doing it within the controller are. In my case I am not doing anything fancy or doing it in stages. It appears that the ignition retard is associate with the trigger switches but I am not sure. If so I guess the switch has to be activated anyway?

And final question is I have the LED for status mounted to the dash. I am using a pressure transducer for heater control and the LED is supposed to flash once per second if bottle pressure is too low which shuts off heater option. Under options there is warn limit, normal limit and alarm limit (high). Its easy to figure out the software changes colors during the above limits but where does the LED flashing once per second come in?

This is a nice controller but there is just no support !

Thanks all

Rich

PS: Here is first run with 150 jets bringing the N20 in at 3800.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD8aFvL_1h0
Old 07-15-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rrmccabe
I have a couple more questions about the controller. I have tried Nitrous Express and they are non responsive. Last time I buy anything from them !

As I said above after talking to RPM (and installing 300m output shaft) I scrapped the idea about pulling nitrous from a dig and throught the shifts. Decided to just let it fly !

Anyway, I have it up and working with 150 jets. Logs looks good and it works perfect.

The questions are software related.

Currently I am pulling timing with a switch connected to relay that uses the IAT circuit. The Maximizer has the option to retard ignition but I am wondering what the advantage to doing it within the controller are. In my case I am not doing anything fancy or doing it in stages. It appears that the ignition retard is associate with the trigger switches but I am not sure. If so I guess the switch has to be activated anyway?

And final question is I have the LED for status mounted to the dash. I am using a pressure transducer for heater control and the LED is supposed to flash once per second if bottle pressure is too low which shuts off heater option. Under options there is warn limit, normal limit and alarm limit (high). Its easy to figure out the software changes colors during the above limits but where does the LED flashing once per second come in?

This is a nice controller but there is just no support !

Thanks all

Rich

PS: Here is first run with 150 jets bringing the N20 in at 3800.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD8aFvL_1h0

What did you run on that pass? Whats up with the Speedo? Looked pretty quick though...nice job.

SO let me ask a few questions. How do you currently have your timing retard setup? It sounds like you have something wired up with a relay to activate a circuit in your IAT that changes the temp values. What activates the relay currently? Is it the same relay that runs the noids? Did you reprogram the PCM to change the timing values with the IAT table or are they still on stock settings? if stock settings what is the range of timing the IAT table can affect?

I see no real advantage to using the output wire from the MaxII to run your IAT circuit VS using the relay that runs the noids really. Especially if your running a single stage. if you had more than one stage being run by the MaxII the multiple retards might come in handy. Although you would have to get real fancy on integrating multiple retards into your IAT tables. Youd have to use multiple resistors/relays in series to hit certain target IAT temps and then tune acordingly. But again...with a single stage you probably dont need anything remotely close to that.

As for the LED...I cant remember..lol.

And as for support...you may be able to try FJO directly. I have always had good luck discussing maximizer issues with them. They make all that stuff.

http://www.fjoracing.com/
Old 07-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
What did you run on that pass? Whats up with the Speedo? Looked pretty quick though...nice job.
It was was a back roads test. In Mexico of course. Have not been to the track with spray but probably Friday. The truck runs 12.90 without the bottle and I am hoping to be in the 11's with it. This is my first nitrous install.

Trailblazers have an issue where you lose speedo when you add a stall converter when going WOT from a dig. Works fine if you wait till you are rolling or if you only go 80% throttle. But as you can see in video, it drops out until after you let off. I have had 3 different stalls in this truck and this trans/stall combo is the slowest to come back. I wish I new how fast it was going but based on previous logs 5900 in 3rd should have been 120s. Close to the Speed limit in MEXICO

SO let me ask a few questions. How do you currently have your timing retard setup? It sounds like you have something wired up with a relay to activate a circuit in your IAT that changes the temp values. What activates the relay currently? Is it the same relay that runs the noids? Did you reprogram the PCM to change the timing values with the IAT table or are they still on stock settings? if stock settings what is the range of timing the IAT table can affect?
I have a relay that switches out the IAT sensor and inserts a 470 ohm resistor. This bumps my IAT to 154 degrees. I changed 3 columns in HPtuners to be safe in that area and pulled -5 timing. Basically the one that 154 hits and one on either side.

Currently its hooked up to a toggle switch (see the Spray/NA timing switch) in picture at beginning of thread.

As for the LED...I cant remember..lol.

And as for support...you may be able to try FJO directly. I have always had good luck discussing maximizer issues with them. They make all that stuff.

http://www.fjoracing.com/
Haha, well if it comes to you let me know. I can test it but I hate wasting N20.

As far as FJO, here was their response.

Hi Rich,

You will have to contact Nitrous Express for support on the MX-2. Our tech dept only supports products badged as FJO Racing Products because we do not have technical information on products manufactured by our parent company for NX

So as you can see I already tried that method

The controller works well but I would not buy one again because of NX lousy support. Will stick with Harris as their support is great. I think the MicroEDGE would have been a better choice.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Well...then taking control of your timing off the switch and allowing the MaxII run it will just make it automatic. Its probably better that way...youll never forget to switch to your N20 timing table. I know for every switch I have ever installed related to nitrous...I have forgotten to turn on atleast once...including the nitrous switch it self...lol.

BTW...great setup. I always wanted to do a TBSS. Is yours AWD or RWD?

Too bad about FJO. They have gotten fairly big since they now do stuff with NOS and several others as well as NX. They used to be real helpful...guess its not the same any more.

You might also try to PM NXricky here. he basically designed the MaxII. I see him here from time to time.

MaxII is a nice piece...but for your needs I agree it may be overkill. But...if you ever expand....it will handle whatever you throw at it.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice install. Can I ask who did it?
Robert
Old 07-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Teching In

BTW...great setup. I always wanted to do a TBSS. Is yours AWD or RWD?
Mine is AWD. So I dont have traction issues at all. Be fun to see what happens when I drop the intialized RPM down to 2000 instead of 3800 !

Originally Posted by Robert56
Very nice install. Can I ask who did it?
Robert

Wow, thats a compliment coming from someone of your caliber! I did the install myself. My first N20 vehcile so I am going slow trying to make sure I have done everything right.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

where did you get that awsome switch panel?i would like something like that
for my center counsle.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Teching In

I made it. Created the artwork in AutoCAD and had it laser etched.

Quick Reply: Help with Maximizer II config