General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Engine Dropping RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Dropping RPMs

Well this problem is one that has just started happening and it's only happened twice to me in the past week of driving the car but it's starting to really annoy me and get to me cause I can't find any answer as to why the car is doing this so I'm seeing if anyone else has had the same thing hapen to them.

While I'm driving the two times that this has happened to me, I am cruising just driving in the city or on the highway and the rpms will fall all the way to zero but the car stays on but I have no power and after about 3 or 4 seconds the rpm's come back up. It idles ok with a little shake from the engine as if it wants to stall out but never does when this happens. I am thinking about putting new plugs in her next week but I really don't have any idea of what is causing this other behavior from the car. I don't have any check engine lights come on and the car seems to run good at some points but at others just completely falls on it's face for some reason.

Could it be a fuel pump or filter issue too? I don't know so if anyone has any good and cheap suggestions to help me out I am definitly appreciative .

-Russ
Old 06-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

YOu need to get a scan at the dealership or by anyone who has the real OBDII scanner that can see whats going as its being scanned. 02 sensors failing can do this to your engine.

Spark plugs can't do that, they slowly degrade performance and idle quality over time, they don't work great one minute, then fall on their face the next.

Could definitely be the fuel pump too. Not the filter though. They usually show that their getting dirty while idling or at low rpms where fuel pressure is already low.

Get a scan to see how the 02 sensors are switching.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man I never thought of the 02 sensors. I have access to a scanner so I'll see what is happening with the car hopefully this weekend.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is happening to me as well the past two days with the a/c seems to run much better without the a/c, but min only drops to 500 rpm's and i got new spark plugs that shouldnt be your problem either.