Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

help me set timing

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me set timing

ok I've never been good at setting timing & I have a 383 stroker I'm dropin in my tuck over the 4th. ok when u have the #1 piston (front drivers side)up top where & which valve do u want seated in the head?intake valve needs 2 be seated in the head or exhaust. I'm running a msd pro billet distributor & 6a box what kind of total timing should I be looking 4?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:36 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If you have the valve cover off, you want the intake valve to have been coming down before it is at TDC. Stab the distributor to about the 4:30 position. You will be looking for the neighborhood of 34-46* timing total.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

maybe I should just ask 4 a step by step instruction on how to do this. no ones ever showen me how to do it & I've owned chevys all my life. pretty sad huh.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:24 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, the distributor has to spin into place, therefore the oilpump shaft has to line up as it spins in, i hope you have a really long flathead screwdriver, atleast 12 inch long to be able to line the shaft ip. It is hard for me to explain, you need to look at your distributor gear and see where it needs to be when you stab it.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

I know how 2 do that I need help knowing when its on tdc. obviously the piston has to b up top as far as it can go but ppl say u have to "set it on the compression stroke" I think. how do I know when its on that stroke
Old 06-29-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

easy way is put your finger on the spark plug hole and feel the compression as the piston comes up, then you know you are on the compression stroke.
the other way is to pull the valve cover and observe the rocker arms, you will need to know which rocker on #1 is intake and exhaust. If you don't know, spin the motor over with the starter but make sure it doesn't start, one rocker will move then another immediately after then there will be a slight pause before the first one moves again. The first one is exhaust, then intake. knowing which one is which, rotate the engine by hand and watch as the intake rocker completes its movement, then continue rotating the engine by hand to line up the timing pointer to 0 on the crank pulley, and you are at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
easy way is put your finger on the spark plug hole and feel the compression as the piston comes up, then you know you are on the compression stroke.
the other way is to pull the valve cover and observe the rocker arms, you will need to know which rocker on #1 is intake and exhaust. If you don't know, spin the motor over with the starter but make sure it doesn't start, one rocker will move then another immediately after then there will be a slight pause before the first one moves again. The first one is exhaust, then intake. knowing which one is which, rotate the engine by hand and watch as the intake rocker completes its movement, then continue rotating the engine by hand to line up the timing pointer to 0 on the crank pulley, and you are at top dead center (TDC) on the compression stroke.
ok thanks I kinda had an idea of how to do it but thought that one other time. turns out it was 180 off

Quick Reply: help me set timing