What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1999 VSG Z28 with a 408

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 03:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1999 VSG Z28 with a 408

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=673

Vehicle link above. Currently 83K miles on car, less than 2K miles on 408. It put 526 HP to the wheels on a SuperFLo dyno, which at the time would have been 556RWHP DJ corrected. The engine is built to handle a 200 shot, but has never seen N20. With a rear end, driveshaft that won't break and some cheap suspension upgrades, this could be a streetable 9 second car with full interior. Took it in its current form to the strip 1 time and could not hook through the 1/8th. It ran a ptitful 11.9 due to traction issues, but trapped 129mph - indicitive of a good 10 second car with traction.

Bad stuff that needs to be known to estimate a value:

Car hit the wall at the strip - I fixed it out of pocket, mostly just cosmetic damage, but slightly bent the passenger frame rail a couple inches. I fixed it out of pocket and the car does have a clean title. Aftermarket fender doesn't fit quite right by the passenger door.

No AC in the car. It had it, I took it out for the engine swap, and sawdust was swpet into the parts. I threw them away, and the car no longer has them. The openings where the piping goes into the firewall were not capped, so there is probably dust int there that will either need to be cleaned out, or replace them as well.

Interior is not in the greatest shape. Parts have been painted from when I was younger and dumber. Leather seats have some wear.

Engine bay is dirty, but can be cleaned - I just really don't fool with it anymore.

the good stuff:

GM SS hood.

Aftermarket SS spoiler.

Z06 MS wheels.

Miscellaneous stuff:

The car was a factory automatic, but I did a T56 swap myself and helped pioneer the swap process on this board in the writeup. The ECM was reprogrammed to register everything as an M6.

I am not looking for the value an average Joe would see in the car, but someone looking into getting a car with these mods, or modding theirs to a similar level and wanting to save some money.

Be brutal, be honest. Thanks guys, and if you have questions about something I forgot to mention, or anything at all, please ask. I don't want to sell it and I don't have to. I just want to know what is fair. I will not hide anything - I am not a car salesman and that isn't what I do.

Thanks,
Matt Neace

Last edited by dragonZ28; 07-05-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Honestly, I wouldn't pay more than 10k for it. And that would be on the high side.
There are clean cars with big cubes motors selling for 15k. I have bought and sold many F-bodies, and with the way times are now...it's 10x more difficult to sell a clean car than it was 2 years ago. Selling a car that you know has some issues is 20x more difficult than it was.

You would get so much more money by selling the motor separate though. You are selling a car that was hit and repaired (albeit has a clean title), has no a/c - and if someone wanted to put it back in they would have to spend big $$$, and the interior is in bad shape.

Parting it out with net you 5-6k for the car itself, close to 1k for the GM SS hood/spoiler, around 700 for the Z06 wheels, and depending on who built the motor and if the build can be verified...you would see 5k or more for that. So, parting it out would be closer to 15k
Old 07-05-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There's a beautiful 99 z28 with a 416 in it and he can't get 12k for it.

Quick Reply: 1999 VSG Z28 with a 408