Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Futral one week review

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Futral one week review

I just recently installed a Futral F-15 cam in my 99 FRC and the results have been great so far. I bought the cam used along with an ls-6 intake, and all the regular hardware. After doing some research here on the forum I was able to complete the install without any problems and no lost lifters! I also purchased hp tuners and a lc-1 wideband to try my hand at tuning.

I have had the car for about 5 months now and average ~500 miles/week. So I was a little nervous going with the F-15 but I got a great deal and I could not pass it up despite the warnings of going "too big" for a daily driver. First start went great. It just fired up, lifters pumped up quick and it went right to idle - could not believe it. After it warmed up I took it for a couple of rides and was very surprised how smooth it drove even with the stock tune. I have longtubes and a magnaflow magnapack system installed and the car was noisey before but it is definetly loud now .

The cam specs are 236/239, .601/.611 on a 110LSA. The idle is not as choppy as I was expecting but it sounds great and shakes the whole car. Since the start up I have been tuning every day and as this is my first tune with HP tuners and a LS1 I am learning as I go, but I am making some great progress. I can drive on the highway at 60mph in 6th with no surging but I still have a slight surge in 5th around 50mph - even it never goes away I am very pleased with the results.

The power kicks in right before 3000rpms and pulls well up to 6700. I will eventually get to the track, but I am a hesitant to do it with the stock clutch. Even with the shift in power, the engine makes plenty of power down low for putting around in town. My mpg has fell from the 28 I was getting before, but it is definetly worth it.

Anyways, I hardly post here on the forum, so I figured now was as good a time as any. After the first week of use, I would highly support anyone thinking about the Futral brand of cams - works great for me. Also, thanks to ls1tech for an awesome forum and knowledge base. Have a good one,

Gabe
Old 07-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job! Need to post up a vid