Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Magnavolt Functions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnavolt Functions

Does it strictly increase voltage to the fuel pump, or does it affect timing/fueling in any way at all? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I need to make sure. Considering removing it from my setup and using a walboro instead.

If the magnavolt works the way I think it does I'm pretty sure I can remove it and install a walboro without any retuning.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just boost fuel pump voltage, I'm not sure how it does it, but it has nothing to do with PCM functions. A Walboro or Racetronix in tank pump would take its place nicely and be more reliable.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

What Ted said is right. It is triggered by boost and I believe it kicks in at 3 or 4 psi.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought one, so this is good know.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Teching In

How much is a Walboro or Racetronix pump? Is that a better route?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

I hear dropping a new pump in the tank is kinda a PITA, but its the route I would feel best taking.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
I hear dropping a new pump in the tank is kinda a PITA, but its the route I would feel best taking.
Jamie, my tech, decided that after taking 2+hours on a lift to drain the tank (and getting covered in gas) and replace the pump, that the next time it shiats out, the Aeromotive will be going on my car.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

OBC, what did you have Jamie put in the tank?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:26 PM
Launching!

I'm not even sure where you can buy the racetronix setup for the cts-v. I was lucky enough to encounter a forum member in my city who had a kit, but sold his caddy. Talk about luck.

Putting a higher volume pump in the tank is a better way to go than overdriving a stock pump in my opinion. My plan is to put the walboro in, then when I have the need I plan on replacing the magnavolt unit to overdrive that pump as well. Of course, that would only be if I'm looking for over 600rwhp. Really the only thing that matters is that you're getting ~60psi ALL the time at all rpms with as little drop in pressue as possible. However you accomplish this is up to you.

I bypassed the magnavolt for the time being by jumping the yellow and grey wires. Another way to do this is to access the wires in the passenger side trunk panel. I went in there and re-wired the connections because they only had a screw on connector whick I don't particularly like. Now they've got heatshrink butt-ends on em.

Magnuson tech support was really good. Spoke to Drew two times and I appreciate the time he took to answer my questions.

I plan to drop in the pump sometime this weekend. It's so freaking hot here in TX right now I'm going to have to wake up at 6 am and get to it before it hits 100+ I'm in a garage but that's still too hot. Will post write-up when it's done. I doubt it will be that hard.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
OBC, what did you have Jamie put in the tank?

Cannot remember, I think Mike or Johan at DiabloSport ordered it when I had a fuel deficiency after I put the stroker in---I could guess, but that would be of no help. I realize there are much better pumps than the stock one, but think that based on the PITA factor of going into the tank, an external one is better. Then again, how loud is an external pump, may be irrelevent, as the headers, exhaust and whine of the Maggie will be louder.

Quick Reply: Magnavolt Functions