Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous bottle lose pressure over time

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous bottle lose pressure over time

I filled up my bottle probably about 2 months ago... the pressure has been very consistent up until this past week. I have not opened the bottle yet. I added some fittings for nano before this fill. I'm wondering if the fittings didnt seal and caused a slow leak or if its just normal for the pressure to drop after such a long time?

Normally the bottle would be over 600psi in my closet (temp in house hasn't changed), the other day i noted about 550 then a day later 500 and now its around 440.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Definitely sounds like you are leaking. When you added the NANO fittings, what kind of sealant did you use on the threads?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:16 AM
FormerVendor

If the temperature has been consistent, it most likely sounds like a leak. Also make sure that the plunger is sealing on the valve.

Nick
Old 03-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Teching In

I have a newer bottle and have experienced the same thing over the past couple of months.. I have not changed any fittings on it and have sprayed the bottle down with soapy water and can't find any leaks to justify the lose of weight or pressure over the past couple months..
Old 03-11-2017, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by distinctdev
I filled up my bottle probably about 2 months ago... the pressure has been very consistent up until this past week. I have not opened the bottle yet. I added some fittings for nano before this fill. I'm wondering if the fittings didnt seal and caused a slow leak or if its just normal for the pressure to drop after such a long time?

Normally the bottle would be over 600psi in my closet (temp in house hasn't changed), the other day i noted about 550 then a day later 500 and now its around 440.

Thanks
If you're losing pressure in consistent temperature No doubt you're leaking. Since it's in a closet it could be an exterior wall where the closet is affected by outdoor temps still.

Buy a scale, harbor freight sells shipping scales for cheap and are nice to have. Get some soapy water and spray your fittings, find leak and fix.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Weigh the bottle.

If you have a full bottle, half bottle or even a bottle with only 1 lb in it, it should be about 750psi at room temp.

Soap test the fittings. Also those small gauges are notorious for having the soldered end of the pitot tube leak.

Quick Reply: Nitrous bottle lose pressure over time