Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering problem

After having no problems for most of the season my 05 V has been telling me of late that perhaps it's not too fond of autocrossing. I run on Hoosier slicks that develop a ton of grip on good surfaces. Autocrossing requires far more steering inputs, and faster, than road course racing; I'm typically lock to lock or very close several times during a 30-50 second run, so there's no doubt I'm asking a lot of a very heavy car's power steering. During the last two events I've found that the car responds fine during the run but as I exit the course, at very low speed and engine rpm, there's no power assist. None. Then as I drive home the steering provides normal levels of assist at typical cruising speeds but pulling into my driveway and parking the car reveals no power assist again. After a day or so the problem will go away.

I have plenty of fluid in the reservoir, the pump isn't making any noises and there are no signs of belt or pulley slip. I've not found any indications of leaks anywhere in the system. After a run the fluid isn't bubbly or frothy. Despite the amount of work it's doing I have a difficult time believing I can boil PS fluid in 40 seconds or so. Any ideas on what might be wrong?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

bump...
Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Launching!

If you don't get a clue here, post up in the general section as I believe the front dress is basically the same on all LS1/6s.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mercutio
Despite the amount of work it's doing I have a difficult time believing I can boil PS fluid in 40 seconds or so.
That's what came to my mind. What color is the fluid?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jerrad
That's what came to my mind. What color is the fluid?
Brown. It wouldn't hurt to flush it, I suppose...
Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

I'd try that and see if it helps any. If it fixes it at least you know the pump is good.

Quick Reply: Power steering problem