Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard bar install ... gone wrong. How to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 02:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Panhard bar install ... gone wrong. How to fix?

I tried installing my panhard rod by putting the car on ramps. I removed the stock panhard bar and tried to install the new (UMI single adjustable panhard bar) on.

I got the UMI panhard bar on but needed to adjust it a bit.

Here's is where my problem is.

After adjusting the panhard bar, I am not able to insert the panhard bolts since it is not matching up.

In the mist of my fustration, (and I had a couple of beers so I wasn't thinking too much) I tried raising the car with jacks to see if I was able to get more space if I lifted the passenger side / driver's side / both sides and all methods had the same outcome: the bolt holes did not line up and the bolts couldn't be inserted.

Another problem is that I think raising the car on jacks made the issue worse! I tried putting the factory panhard rod back on but now that's not able to fit.

Anyone else had this problem? Know a method to get more room so the panhard bar can be installed? Tips? Tricks?

... I'm all eyes and ears at this point. Any help and advice is appreciated.

Edit / Note: Haven't ran across this online so I'm going to upload it. Attached to this post is the directions on how to install a UMI panhard bar via the directions that were sent to me by UMI. Hope this helps out anyone.

Also, I resolved my panhard install issue. The answer can be found on post #22. Click on the link below.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/11983802-post22.html
Attached Thumbnails Panhard bar install ... gone wrong. How to fix?-umi-panhard-bar-install-instructions.jpg  

Last edited by benoh; 07-29-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I jacked up the car via the rear end housing, then put jack stands under the rear sub frame (in front of the rear tires), lowered it onto the jack stands, and then removed the jack. After doing this, there is plenty of room to work on the panhard bar. I'm not sure I understand how the bolts don't line up... can you snap any pictures? I think you would have had to bend something in order for them to not line back up. Maybe it's because it's 3:15 a.m. here in Utah and I'm just really tired, but without seeing what's going on, I don't know how the bolt holes wouldn't line up with the stock bar. Snap a picture if you get the chance. I'm sure others will chime in with some ideas as well... sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't adjust the panhard bar to make it longer so it installs easier... this will make for a mess to adjust it. Adjust the new panhard bar to the factory length, do this by laying it on top of the factory panhard bar and lining the holes up. Once this is completed make sure the jack stands are under the frame of the car and not the rear end. Put the jack under the rear end and just apply light pressure on the rear end. Install the panhard bar in the passenger side first. The panhard bar is going to appear to short... this is because when you remove the factory panhard bar the rear has shifted. Have a friend push on the drivers side tire while you line the panhard bar up in the mount and get a bolt through it.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

I actually got my panhard installed but I have a different issue, is it becasue of the panhard bar, mypassenger side tire sticks out further then my driver side tire. I'm running 17x11 ZR1's with nitto 555r's, I can literally see the first tread mark in the passenger side which is roughly 2 inchs out of the fender and then on the driver side it hangs out roughly 1 & 1/2, can't see the thread mark at all! Is this a matter of trying to tighten the panhard bar or what! If I tighten it what would make it pull the passenger side instead of the driver's side. Bit of a weird situation to me!
Old 07-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Ryan and UMI is right on the install procedure. You are likely to need a buddy to help push the rear end into place and you may need a pry bar to place through the mounting bracket and get the bolt started from the other side. (the round style works very nice) Your buddy needs to be SUPER SUPER careful with shoving the car around while your fuzzy backside is under the car. The reason you get an adjustable is to be able to set the rear end left to right so the clearance is equal side to side. Take two large nuts, (nut and bolt nuts) Two 3 foot pieces of string and masking tape, tie each string to each nut and tape them to the rear fenders so they both hang straight down by the center hub of your left and right rear wheels. Measure the distance from the string (it is essentially a plumb bob as gravity will pull it straight down) and the center hub on each wheel. Adjust the panhard rod until the gap is equal between both sides.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ajsfirehawk
..... The reason you get an adjustable is to be able to set the rear end left to right so the clearance is equal side to side. Take two large nuts, (nut and bolt nuts) Two 3 foot pieces of string and masking tape, tie each string to each nut and tape them to the rear fenders so they both hang straight down by the center hub of your left and right rear wheels. Measure the distance from the string (it is essentially a plumb bob as gravity will pull it straight down) and the center hub on each wheel. Adjust the panhard rod until the gap is equal between both sides.

BINGO!

However, there's one more thing...Make sure that the rear suspension is FULLY LOADED when setting the PHB length. It doesn't matter if it's on a drive on rack (the easiest), an alignment rack (also very easy), 4 ramps (sort of easy), or on flat ground (a PITA), the suspension has to be loaded and at ride height to get the PHB set correctly.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

And this is why I have a double adjustable PHB and it worked great
Old 07-25-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

My directions said that placing a jack under the pumpkin would be fine, my **** is off like 1/2 to3/4 in to the right/passenger side! So the string method would work fine for me as well? Will the actually body shift if I where to leave all four wheels on the ground and to crawl under the back to adjust it?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The string method is really the only way to do it. Yes the body will move one way or the other.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Well, got the panhard bar installed and aligned but a new issue arose.

I'm not sure if its just my eyes playing tricks on me but it seems as of the driver's side is now sitting higher than usual and the left rear tire doesn't appear to be aligned straight. Did I do something wrong?

All I removed and installed was the panhard bar by removing the bolts and nut.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 94BlueZ28
My directions said that placing a jack under the pumpkin would be fine, my **** is off like 1/2 to3/4 in to the right/passenger side! So the string method would work fine for me as well? Will the actually body shift if I where to leave all four wheels on the ground and to crawl under the back to adjust it?
Yes the body will move when you adjust the bar...get some ramps though so you have some room to crawl under it...I'm skinny and I don't feel like crawling under mine when it's on the ground.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Just got back from a drive; the panhard bar eliminated a lot of tail happy turns and does allow the limited slip to spin one wheel rather than the rear losing control. I'm guessing this is due to the rear being centered from my new adjustable panhard bar.

As for the rear end being tilted, my eyes still see a tilt. The rear driver's side seems higher than the rear passenger side. Anyone know what might be causing this? It's absolutely irritating me.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by benoh
Just got back from a drive; the panhard bar eliminated a lot of tail happy turns and does allow the limited slip to spin one wheel rather than the rear losing control. I'm guessing this is due to the rear being centered from my new adjustable panhard bar.

As for the rear end being tilted, my eyes still see a tilt. The rear driver's side seems higher than the rear passenger side. Anyone know what might be causing this? It's absolutely irritating me.
I've heard this is a common problem with lowered cars.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you fully tighten the panhard bar bolts while the car was in the air? If so the suspension might be a bind and not allowing it to settle. Set the car on the ground with the bolts only snug... tighten them fully with the suspension loaded.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 07-26-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Taken4granted
And this is why I have a double adjustable PHB and it worked great
+1

Bolt it in and start twisting away, and I got my double adj. for $90
Old 07-26-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine was like that when it was bone stock. It's still like that with different shocks and springs. Sam Strano told me that this was normal. I don't really remember why it is that way but, I stopped caring about it.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AnimalSS
Mine was like that when it was bone stock. It's still like that with different shocks and springs. Sam Strano told me that this was normal. I don't really remember why it is that way but, I stopped caring about it.
The car wasn't tilted before I installed the panhard bar so I'm guessing that the tilted rear end was a result of either removing the old panhard bar or becaue of the installation the new panhard bar.

Tried both methods in installing the panhard bar: tightening the bolts when the car was on the ground and placing jackstands on the rear to hold the weight of the car and both resulted in a (still) tilted rear end.

Am I doing something wrong? What causes the rear end to tilt / flex?
Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

+2 on snug for install, then torque to spec once the suspension is fully loaded. I definitely should have mentioned that.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 AM
TECH Junkie

I know I'm going back to my FJ wrenching roots that have the notorious "FJ lean" which is similar to the driver side sitting higher on an f-body but have a buddy hop in the driver seat when you are looking at the rear of the car, the car should level out.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Maybe that's why GM did it, so that when you're in the car it will look level to everyone behind you. There's a 180-220 lb "preload" needed to level it out, and the driver takes care of it.

See? GM=Brilliant.

Eh?

Quick Reply: Panhard bar install ... gone wrong. How to fix?