Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me find some missing horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me find some missing horsepower

The last time I went to a dyno my numbers were lower than expected. It was 350hp/360tq when I was expecting 370hp/370tq. It was on a dynodynamics dyno but it's set up to put out only slightly lower numbers than the average dynojet.

I know going with Longtubes will net me more power but I still expected at least 370 through my mac mids. Does anybody know how the Hooker aerochamber muffler flows or if it could be the stock MAF or LS1 throttle body? The numbers seemed to stop climbing too early.

I want to find the missing hp so I could reach my new goal of 400rwhp with the LS6 heads, .040 gasket, and 3200 stall. (410rwhp if I didn't get the stall) Thanks.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is the dyno graph.

http://photos.streetfire.net/photo/1742538.htm
Old 08-02-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Areochamber is one of the best flowing (and sounding)catbacks out there but I don't think that is where your extra horsepower is.....
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I wish I never bought these damn Mac mids. I don't see anything else being the problem.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does it run at the track? I understand you have a goal in mind, but remember the dyno is a tuning tool. Did you dyno your car before the mods, and was it the same dyno. A good A to B comparison is really what you should be after.

If you really want 370rwhp from your setup, you probably need to address a few things:

1) replace MAC mids with better quality long-tube headers (Kooks, QTP, American Racing)
2) build another merge style Y pipe with out cats
3) home port your throttle body for what it's worth
4) if you didn't at install, degree the cam and see that it is setup properly
5) if you have aftermarket Y2K wheels, they can be heavier than stock and skew your numbers downward. Try refitting the stock 16x8's if you still have them.

If all else fails, your plans to add LS6 heads and thinner gaskets will help out that cam quite a bit. Evne if you end up at 395rwph after all of your efforts, that should be a hard running, well rounded setup that works well.

Best of luck with your build!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can go and get a tune done by someone using the hptuners software. that way they can burn in the new tune. i have a 04 ls1 gto and i put in the texasspeed big comp cam package,pacesetter longtubes, and a custom 3 1/2" exhaust. and i made 399 rwhp and 389 rwtq. if you get a new tune done, i think you will achieve the mark you want if not more. because i do not have the ls6 heads, nor the pulleys.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a vette doctors dyno tune and they have a real good reputation. The cam was also installed by them so I figure it's degreed correctly. The Y2k wheels are also only 1 pound heavier than the stock snowflake wheels but the tires on there are more than 3 pounds lighter than stock.

I was thinking about cutting off the shitty connectors on the headers and y-pipe and putting straight pipe since I saw someone do this on here and gain 5rwhp.
http://photos.streetfire.net/photo/1539236.htm
here is a picture of the headers with the carsound cats welded in before they were installed.

The first time I went to go dyno my car before the pulley,tune, headers,cam it only managed 289rwhp on a dynojet since it hit a limiter at 4600rpm. It was on it's way to about 315rwhp though.