General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn Signal issue can find a fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Turn Signal issue can't find a fix

So my right turn signal, only when my parking and/or headlights are on will not work. The light for the signal on the dash stays on when I turn on the parking and/or headlights. The turn signals work perfect when the parking and/or headlights are not on.

I have changed every single bulb in my car.
I have replaced the front 2 sockets that get water in them and replaced the bulb after.
The clicker things are working fine I swapped one out and made no difference.

I have no idea were to go next I tried searching but cant really find anything that points me in the right direction.

Last edited by matt1289; 08-03-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you put the blinkers on, do you notice any voltage changes? Sounds to me (whenever my blinker arrow stays on and doesn't blink) that's it's one of 3 things. Bad battery, bad alternator, bad ground.
Go to autozone, have them check your battery/alternator (for free) if you cant check them yourself.
Then, check all your grounds, take a wire brush to them. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

how could my battery/alternator effect only one of my turn signals?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking ground also.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it work when your headlights are off? Normal speed or slower?

Is the brightness of it in the front the same as the driver side when headlights are off and on?

All your running and brake lights in the back working OK? Don't rule that out, could be something in the rear not the front causing trouble.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

It works when my head lights and running lights are off. There is no brightness difference.

every single light in the car is working perfectly. The only issue the the right turn signal and that issue only happens when headlight/running lights are on.

Again the front to light sockets have been replace every single light socket and bulb and both filiments for bulbs with 2 are working. The clicker things are both working I have tried swapping those as well.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can't figure this out.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

This makes me think it might be a DRL module problem.

Not sure on the birds, but on the Camaro, the DRLs are the bright filament of the bulb. When I turn on the headlights, it switches to the low filament. The blinker always blinks the bright filament so there is a relay that I can hear click when I turn on the blinker, switching from DRL to blinker, then back again. If there is a relay issue, when you have your lights on, maybe it isn't allowing the blinker to go through.

When you turn your right blinker on, and the green arrow stays on, do any of the lights on the outside of the car turn on bright or is there nothing?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

DRL as in Daytime running lights? My lights have never come on unless I turn them on. I have a trans am, would be really gay if they put that **** on my car. The headlights would be popped up all the time.

"When you turn your right blinker on, and the green arrow stays on, do any of the lights on the outside of the car turn on bright or is there nothing?"

nothing happens the green arrow is always on like a bulb is out but none of the bulbs are out I replaced them all and checked them 8 million times.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, the DRLs are just the orange markers on our cars, not the headlights like some other cars.

If no lights outside the car come on when the blinker is "on" and the green arrow is lit that makes me suspect the DRL module even more.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal issue can find a fix