Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't laugh...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't laugh...

Hello, First post on the forums. I have a bit of a problem that after much searching has only left me with more questions than i started with. To make a long story short I am stuck with a built up 60* v6 engine from another project I scraped. Its going to be a twin turbo v6 probably in the 800hp territory hopefully. I have the adapter plate that will allow the sbc pattern to bolt up to the gm fwd metric pattern. Right now I have a 4l60e sitting in the garage that I thought about using as it has the correct bolt pattern, but not confident in its durability even built up. So I've been considering 4 other choices, which are the th200-4r, glide, th400, and 4l80e. Will probably be going full manual shifting with any trans I use just to simplify the electronics end as well as lower cost. Trying to figure out the best bang for the buck transmission. I have heard the 4l80e stock(02+) with just a shift kit is a very durable trans, and I figured since this engine won't have gobbs of instantaneous torque it should hold up very well. Thanks for your time in advance and any input is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Would also probably help if I mentioned the cars intended use will be street/strip and weekend cruiser, which is why I like the idea of having an OD trans vs the glide or 400. Will probably be running a high gear in the rear end around 2.73.

Last edited by Wolfknight87; 08-04-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Teching In

....Guess I asked for that. Forgot to mention car is a 98 camaro that will have full interior, but planning to do some lightening up front by going with tubular k-member and a/c delete that should help any of the transmissions survive a little longer with maybe the exception of the 4l80e since it such a pig that it will add all the weight I am taking off back to the car.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

at that power level, th400 or 4l80E
Old 08-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Really liking the 4l80e for the OD and TC lockup. Anyone think I might be able to stretch a stocker with the transgo h3 full manual shift kit and a good cooler, or since I will be going through the hassle of installing the shift kit might as well atleast upgrade the clutch packs? I know there really are no definitive answers as what works for one person might not for another.