Transgo shift kit to fix torque converter lockup/ hard 1-2 shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Question Transgo shift kit to fix torque converter lockup/ hard 1-2 shift

Over a year ago I posted this thread about my torque converter not locking:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ay-locked.html

Well I replaced the torque converter lock solenoid last November (and the whole frickin' wire harness since it was the only solenoid that didn't have a plug on it, thanks GM ). That appeared to fix it. But it was also nearly winter and when it is cold it doesn't act up. But this summer it is doing it again. Not quite as bad or as often, but it still is doing it. Also, a little over a week ago it started randomly having a really rough 1-2 shift, then was fine the next week. After more research, I'm guessing it is the beginnings of the wonderful P1870 code, though my SES hasn't lit up yet.

I'm thinking the transgo shift kit is the way to go. But a few questions.

1. Which kit do I need? I have found a lot when searching for the Transgo 4L60E shift kit. Is it the SK4L60E kit or a different one?
2. Where should I get the kit from? I've checked out performabuilt but unless I'm mistaken they only do whole transmissions?
3. How hard is it to install the kit?
4. Anything else I'd need (aside from fluid/filter) to do this?
5. I read about the Corvette servo that also helps, should I get that too?
6. Am I overthinking this and there is a cheaper/better option?

Note I'm not trying to make a high performance 4L60E here, I just want to prevent an expensive rebuild. I may be doing a swap to a manual at some point but that isn't decided (wouldn't happen for a long time anyway, next year at the earliest).

Thanks
Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many miles are on this trans?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 08-11-2009, 08:45 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did your harness not have a connector for the lock up solenoid? But the solenoid was in there? Or did I misunderstand you?

I know my 4L60E doesn't have the lock up solenoid (the hole for it is still there), and there is no plug on the harness either. But all late model 4L60Es should have it.

The kit is not difficult to install. Give it a weekend so you can take your time and learn. Don't need to do all the work in one day, or you can if you want to.

Are you good with some basic tools? Because its all you need. 10mm socket, 8mm socket, a picker to remove the locks, a flat screw driver (get a short one, you will need it to push in the snap ring around holding the servos, needle nose pliers, electric drill, a pan to drop the oil into, new trans oil filter, Just make sure you get some sirclip pliers because you will need them for the pump pressure regulator boost valve swap (if its in the kit). Get some transmission gel or use vaseline if you want, to hold the check ***** in place when putting the valve body back up.

The instructions are very simple and just follow them, you can't go wrong.

Please make sure your car is on stands, and work safe
Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

What I meant was all the shift solenoids have a plug to disconnect from the harness, but the torque converter lock solenoid is hardwired to the harness. So to replace it, you either have to cut and splice wires (didn't sound like a good idea to me inside the transmission) or replace the whole darn harness.

Thanks for the info. I don't have any circlip pliers but my friend or neighbor might.

I've done a lot of my own work on my car so I'm handy enough with tools. I know enough to be dangerous
Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
What I meant was all the shift solenoids have a plug to disconnect from the harness, but the torque converter lock solenoid is hardwired to the harness. So to replace it, you either have to cut and splice wires (didn't sound like a good idea to me inside the transmission) or replace the whole darn harness.

Thanks for the info. I don't have any circlip pliers but my friend or neighbor might.

I've done a lot of my own work on my car so I'm handy enough with tools. I know enough to be dangerous
I sincerely apologize, mine does have a lock up solenoid (ofcourse it does, its a 4L60E) but it does not have a TCC solenoid.

Yes, it was hard wired in, and you just remove the 2 bolts holding it down (8mm if I remember correctly) and it remains wired to the harness. Just remove it gently, a little wiggling will get it right out.

You don't need to replace it, why do you want to do that?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well I did replace it back in November because I thought that was the problem with the torque converter not locking. So I spent that money for that harness for nothing. Oops...
Old 08-12-2009, 08:34 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Well I did replace it back in November because I thought that was the problem with the torque converter not locking. So I spent that money for that harness for nothing. Oops...
Have you scanned it for any codes?

Are you on the stock stall?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ADM
Have you scanned it for any codes?

Are you on the stock stall?
No codes. Not yet anyway.

The car is totally stock except for a lid.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:13 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

No codes. Not yet anyway.

The car is totally stock except for a lid.
Have you considered that your fluid level might be low?

Are you using a decent quality ATF?

Have you considered that your TC might be broke?

You should contact the trans experts here, PM the sponsors and see if they can help you out.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ADM
Have you considered that your fluid level might be low?

Are you using a decent quality ATF?

Have you considered that your TC might be broke?

You should contact the trans experts here, PM the sponsors and see if they can help you out.
Fluid isn't low. Using Valvoline ATF. TC might be broken, yeah, is a possibility, but it primarily acts up when it gets hot... symptoms of leading up to the P1870 code. Hence why I've asked about doing the basic shift kit fix.

I was hoping some trans experts here might see the thread and respond.

Thanks for your help though
Old 08-14-2009, 05:43 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Fluid isn't low. Using Valvoline ATF. TC might be broken, yeah, is a possibility, but it primarily acts up when it gets hot... symptoms of leading up to the P1870 code. Hence why I've asked about doing the basic shift kit fix.

I was hoping some trans experts here might see the thread and respond.

Thanks for your help though
Shoot the guys a PM. If they say the shift kit can fix it as TransGo claims, then get the shift kit.

You are most welcome buddy

If you need any help with the shift kit, let me know.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I sent a PM to one. Hope he has some good input.

I went on a trip to Cleveland to my bro's house to help him with fixing/upgrading some old electrical wiring. On the way back the trans was acting funny again. I was cruising at 70 on the highway for the past hour. Then while I was going up a hill, the TC lock popped off and RPMs jumped to 2500-2600 RPM. Once that happened, it didn't want to stay locked anymore. Sigh. Once it gets warm, if it unlocks it hardly ever will lock again. No rough 1-2 shifts though, which was good.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The TG kit will likley fix the cause, But wether it will fix the sypto is and IF if the converter clutch has already been damaged the symptom may continue.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-14-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for your quick response!

How do I check the converter clutch? Wait, if I remember right the clutch is inside the converter. The converter isn't serviceable right, so a burnt clutch would require a new TC?

Do you (or any of our other sponsors) carry that shift kit?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:42 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Thanks for your quick response!

How do I check the converter clutch? Wait, if I remember right the clutch is inside the converter. The converter isn't serviceable right, so a burnt clutch would require a new TC?

Do you (or any of our other sponsors) carry that shift kit?
You can get it from Summit, last time I checked they are doing discounts on TransGo products. I am sure our sponsors also have it in stock.

If the clutch is gone, you either need a replacement OEM if you want to use a stock one, or get a performance street TC from YANK, Circle-D, Vigilante...anyone who does billet TCs

Quick Reply: Transgo shift kit to fix torque converter lockup/ hard 1-2 shift